Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Seawulff

Where to start tile with Kerdi system

I am a DIY trying to remodel a shower that was leaking. I have dismantled the whole thing and have decided to use the Kerdi system. They recommend starting the tile from the bottom instead of using a mid starting point with a ledger board. How do I prevent having a partial tile at the ceiling using this method. Is there a better way to do it? I also am going to try to use a Fin Pad niche any suggestions on this are helpful too. Do I need to use bullnose tile along the edge of the niche or just leave the junction of the tiles "squared off". Thanks in advance.
Chris
Old 09-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

A "Ledger Board" is a good way to start. Lay out your tile on the floor, with spacers. Figgure where the top tile will/should be. We are assuming that the ceiling is level. Measure down to where the last tile (cut or not) is placed and nail up your ledger board there.

At this point, you SHOULD be able to lay your tiles all the way up to the top.

Do all the walls. Now, do the floor. Now, custom cut the bottom row of tiles to fit. Grout that puppy. Have an adult beveridge and admire your work!

Avanti Tile & Stone
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Cats As They Are Subtle And Will Piss On Your Computer..."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

If you nail or screw a ledger board, you'll want to either repair the holes with a with a square of Kerdi (or Kerdi-band) or a dab of Kerdifix. If you're not going to the ceiling with the tile and the pan/wall edge is nicely level, you could start at the bottom and work up. Most people have the floor tile end underneath the wall tile, but, if you are neat, you could do it the other way as well. I think having the floor tile go underneath the wall tile is neater, and that means being much more careful getting that bottom row perfect. Often easier to do the floor, then finish that last bottom row. Cut it if needed.

Most tile don't look that great on their edges. Bullnose, or possibly backmitering (leave the original small round-over intact), or an edge profile (Schluter makse some), or even possibly a contrasting quarter-round. If it is a through-body unglazed porcelain, you could round it over and even polish it, but if it is glazed, you have far fewer options.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

I just want to add that if you're like me, your ceiling is not completely level. You actually want to plan to have a cut tile there. That way you can match the cuts to the line of the ceiling and any slope won't show.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Seawulff

Kerdi and Densshield

I am new to the forum and the shower install game. I am redoing a leaking shower and might be over engineering this to prevent leaks in the future. I have installed DensShield on the walls and purchased a Schluter shower kit and plan to install the Kerdi membrane over the DensShield with the Schluter base, curb and drain. Are there any issues installing the Kerdi membrane on the DensShield? I plan to use unmodified thinset as recommended. Thanks in advance.
Chris
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Hi Chris,

Please keep all your posts about this project in this thread so folks can see what you're workin on, and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give the thread a more generic title if you want, just ask. Thanks.

Well, you have a conflict with DensShield and Kerdi. The installation instructions for DensShield require modified mortar over it, and the install instructs for Kerdi require an unmodified under it.

With DensShield up already, I'd use a liquid waterproofing to go over the nail/screw heads and corners - something like Laticrete Hydro Ban or Custom Building Products Redgard. Either of these can be used with a Kerdi Drain.

Read and follow all instructions for using the liquids, especially relating to thickness of the membrane. Use a wet film gauge to measure the coat thickness. You can get the wet film gauge at a good paint store, not a box store.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Seawulff

Sorry about the confusion I didn't realize that the threads got connected somehow. I did call Schluter and they said it was ok to use the Kerdi on DensShield with thinset so now I am more confused than I was before.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

You might send a follow up email to Schluter asking what mortar to use to attach Kerdi to DensShield, and how long to wait til you can set tile over it.

We'd be interested in the written response.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com