Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Jim D.

Encountering Resistance to Cutting Tile

I have read a few threads on this forum about some of the difficulties involved in cutting larger tile (usually meant for the floor) into smaller tiles to be used on the wall. Yet I have also read that it can be done. I am encountering resistance from my contractor to my idea for his tile guy to cut tiles (I have not been able to find already cut tiles that I like). Unfortunately I came across Daltile's Jerusalem Gold Limestone, which goes perfectly with the granite and the cabinets. I know about its staining issues and experimented with a polished sample; it took no time at all (even after sealing the stone) for tomato juice to etch it very badly. But I tried the same thing on a honed piece, and the marks are not so visible; with a little care, it would work. And yes, I have tried and tried to find a porcelain look-alike, but with no luck so far (even a porcelain tile named "Jerusalem Gold" was no good). The honed limestone comes only in 16" x 16" tiles, so I thought these could be cut into the subway tiles I would like to use.

There is resistance by the contractor and also in tile stores to this idea. The limestone tile is slightly beveled, so obviously either each cut piece would have to be beveled or the edges of the slab would have to be cut off square. And, I was told, even if I found somebody to do the work, the beveling would not turn out the same on all the cut pieces.

So before I go to battle over this, I thought I should ask the opinion of those who have real-life experience dealing with such issues. Should I just give up and make myself choose a porcelain tile, or should I look for the right person to do the work? Unfortunately I live in a small city, and there aren't many tile experts around. My contractor is supposed to be "the best in town," and so I assumed I would get the best tile guy in town, but....

Thanks for any advice (even if it's not what I want to hear),
Jim
Old 10-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Smartile

Sounds like they just don't want to do it. How small do you want your subway? 8" x 4", 6" x 3", 4" x 2"... The smaller the desired tile the more work is cut out for the installer.

I normally charge a rip-cut fee determined on the square footage and how many pieces I can fabricate per tile. Creating a uniform "factory edge" with a dry polisher is not all that difficult of a process (depending on the type of bevel). Depending on the type of stone, even a sharpening stone could be used to create the desired bevel.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Jim D.

Encountering Resistance to Cutting Tile

Thanks for the reply. I wish I lived closer to you (I am in Virginia). I'm thinking of 6 x 3 tiles. You have encouraged me to look around. I may have to go to a granite fabricator about 35 miles away to get the work done.

Jim
Old 10-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Welcome Jim.

You don't mention how many square feet you're talkin, but a tile guy should be able to do a fair job. If I were you, I'd take the big pieces to someone with a cnc machine and have them make uniform little pieces. Then, have the tile guy install.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

If its a smaller area I'd do the work myself. If we are talking about a dance floor, then I'd have a granite fabricator do all the work while I was busy prepping the space. Those huge laser guided machines can cut a lot of tiles exactly the same in minutes.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The problem with cutting 16" tiles down is that the slightest variation can easily result in imperfect tiles that will show up on the install. That's a very likely reason for someone not wanting to do it.

And quantity is another factor. If there's much to do, I think it's a matter of choosing the right tools. And the right tools for doing a lot of cutting is a fab shop that has equipment that is faster and more accurate than using a portable wet saw. What quantity are you talking about here?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Jim D.

Sorry I didn't mention the square feet involved: it's only around 30, so it's not a big job at all. Cutting 3x6 subways from a 16x16 tile doesn't work out very well mathematically speaking, but I thought having some 3x3 pieces cut would help with finishing out some of the rows of tile.

Jim
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Might not sound like much. But that's cutting 240 tiles and dressing about 700 edges.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

I'm with Kurt. If you don't want uniform tiles, and do want a larger grout line, then have your tile guy attempt to cut & dress. I'd suggest getting about 2x what you think you need if you go this route.

Me, I'd take em to a fab shop with cnc machine.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase