Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
bcarb

Tile around mirror

We are having our bathroom remodeled, but not sure how to put 1 inch mosaic tiles above mirror.
We have a large frameless mirror above the 48 inch vanity and Corian back splash. The mirror is the length of the vanity, but it doesn't go all the way to the ceiling. We were thinking of tiling that wall and tiling above the mirror up to the ceiling. They are uncertain how to tile above and to the side of the mirror, as they are concerned how to tile around the clips holding the mirror to the wall. Any ideas???
Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
gooner59

in one of my bathroom's, my en-suite , i just fixed the mirror to the wall with adhesive then tiled around it !!
gooner59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Shpedly

Hi Barb, I'm sure your probably talking about these plastic mirror holders in the picture below? No good way to tile around those, or tile up to the mirror without it looking sloppy. If it were me, I would get rid of the frameless mirror glass and buy a framed one. I just bought a huge 48X60 framed beveled mirror at Home Goods for $79.00. Tile the wall so that the tile will be behind the framed mirror somewhat. It will look great and wont cost much at all.
Attached Images

"If you have time to do it twice, you have time to do it right once."

"Well cover me in Ditra, and call me an orange!"
Shpedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
bcarb

Shpedly,
The clips we have are metal, but the same concept. I assume once we take the mirror down, these clips will have to be trashed in the process. I live in a very small town with not too many options. I had gone to my local Menards and told that I could use this metal 1/4 inch lip where I suppose you would cut out where the clips are, then carve a little of the tile out, too, but the lip would hide most of that.
In referring to purchasing a new mirror with a frame, I suppose I could do that, but I question how it will look with the bamboo vanity and other clean lines in the room. I think it is one of my best options at this point, though.
Thanks folks, you guys are very generous with your brain power.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
CarpenterLearningTile

Mirror adhesive will hold the mirror without any clips .
It will need to be held by something until the adhesive dries.
The mirror will not come down without a hammer.

Mirror channels come in a variety of colors. The top channel is deeper.
You push the mirror up and drop it down in the bottom slot.
They easily cut to size .

If you have a local glass shop they should have
mirror adhesive and a variety of channels.

I've never used it but I've seen mirror adhesive in box stores in
caulk gun type tubes.

I've also seen mirror installers use clear silicone.

http://www.technologylk.com/__4672/c...-moldings.html
Old 10-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Sometimes it looks good, but I don't often tile around a mirror because it looks dated to me. But if you do tile directly up to the glass, make sure to leave an 1/8" gap and use a flexible color-matched caulk to allow for the glass to move a bit so it doesn't crack.

If you glue the mirror up, use the special mirror adhesive. This material does not cause a degradation to the silver backing like some adhesives do.

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
YakimaGal

HI, We have this issue and what we are doing is putting a frame around the mirror that will go out past the clip area. What this does is create a nice, more new look, and you do not have to tile all the way to the mirror if you do not want too because the frame covers the gap. You can make your own framing with square or mitered edges and stain or paint to color of your choice. There are several different ways to affix to the mirror, one is with adhesive glue, but another way we were told that will enable you to change or remove is to use "sticky on two sides" automotive tape like they use in repair and place on back of framing and then it will stick very well to mirror surface also! Will probably try this method. ( what can I say, I watch HGTV and DIY haha).

There is also a company that makes mirror frames to order with a great number of choices in color and materials, including metallics. They have a click locking type system and are easy to install but are more spendy than the DIY method. I do have the link if someone is interested.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

So Heidi, you're hanging the mirror with hardware, then using double-sided tape to hang a wood frame around the mirror?

At first, I was worried that you were hanging the mirror with tape, as well.

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
bcarb

Heidi,
Having some trouble visualizing how a frame can hide the clips. How do you put the frame flush with the mirror edge, with the clips in the way. I would appreciate the link for the mirror frames, if you have the time.

Again, thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas and what has worked for them. I am a bit focused on a comment above that said what I was proposing seemed a bit dated looking. I am looking for a modern eclectic look, so do tell me more, as you have my attention. Why? Is that the way people used to do it and don't now?
Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
YakimaGal

Yes Tool Guy the mirror was already mounted with both adhesive and clips, its a large plain builder mirror from when the house was built. We redid the bathroom and want to dress it up without having to take mirror down. So saw this tip and it looks fairly easy to accomplish, but looks nice.

and to answer the other question, the framing is placed directly on the mirror itself, but can be placed so that the outside edges extend past the edge of the mirror as far as you need depending on width of frame, effectively covering small hardware or gap to tile, etc

here is the web address of Mirror Mates which are very cool and easy to use it looks like. http://www.mirrormate.com/

( if this is not appropriate to post link let me know, thanks)

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com