Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
TonyB

Hardwood floor install question

I know this is a tile forum, but I imagine people on here will know, or will be able to recommend a forum for hardwoods. I came here because I've used this site for 2 bathroom tile jobs and I know the people on here can be trusted. Here's my question.

I have an older 1920's Spanish home with 3/4 inch thick planck subfloor. I think they are 6 inches wide. The planks run perpendicular to the joists. Some people have told me that hardwood floors should also run perpendicular to joists, but I think it my case this is just wrong. It seems that the hardwoods need to run perpendicular to the plank subfloor. Isn't this correct?

A similar issue: If I am correct about the direction of the hardwoods, but wanted, for aesthetic reasons to run the planks in the opposite direction, I imagine it would be fine to put down a layer of something on top of the plank subfloor, prior to the hardwood install. In order to not get too much of a height mismatch with the tiled bathrooms, and to keep costs down, I would like to use 3/8 inch thick OSB. I know, I know OSB is a bad word. But, since I already have 3/4 inch planks, it should be plenty strong. I just need the OSB to allow me to change the direction of the hardwoods. Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable and OK? Or can someone point me to a more relevant forum?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Tony, OSB is not a "bad word" in subflooring applications. Some of it is quite usable. I would still use plywood in your application.

Here are a couple wood flooring sites that have been recommended over the years. I know nothing about either site:

Hardwood Flooring Guide.

Hardwood Flooring Talk.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase