Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Maferni13

Sealing glazed ceramic tile

Hello tile experts: We just installed 600 sq ft of glazed ceramic tile for our outdoor patio. Although we were told we didn't have to seal the tile because it is already glazed, I have heard it would be a good idea to protect the color from fading. Can anyone weigh in on this? If I should seal, what sealer should I use? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

Generally, you can't seal a glazed tile - it is essentially glass. You can, however, seal the grout.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
bbcamp

Sealers won't help protect your tile from fading. However, I don't really think that would be a problem.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Maferni, Welcome!

You do not want to use a sealer on the glazed tile. Most sealers are impregnating, thus won't enter the glaze that was heated at a high temperature (approx. 2300 degrees F) and melted into a hard dense surface.

It's through this process that offer ceramic tile to be such a wonderful and durable product to be used in interior and exterior applications (depending on manufactures recommendations, climate, and method of installation).

Sealing the grout is always a big plus in my book!
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Maferni13

Thank you!

Thanks to all of you who responded. My outdoor ceramic tile looks absolutely beautiful and I wanted to make sure I did the right thing. I will seal the grout with a quality sealer as all of you have recommended. Thank you!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com