Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
EJ68

BEST sealant for outdoor mosaic grout jointss

I've used many different sealants over the years but am searching for something better...a sealant that waterproofs grout and may only have to be applied once...any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler

What kind of tile?

What kind of grout?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

There are some very good sealers out there, Dry Treat, Prosoco, Stone Tech are some excellent manufacturers.

But no sealer can make grout waterproof.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
EJ68

I make my mosaics out of handmade tiles and glass and use sanded grout...I've been toying with the idea of epoxy grout but have a feeling that the pot life is short and it would be difficult to get off of the tiles and glass...thank you for your responses!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
EJ68

Grout Shield?

Miracle Grout Shield (additive) for sanded grout...have not used it...does anyone have any experience with this product?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Haven't used the Miracle grout additive.

But you should look into Laticrete Spectralock epoxy for your mosaic installations.

If you follow the instructions and realize that it will be different that installing cement grout it is relatively easy to work with. It is used by a lot of mosaic artist.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
EJ68

Thank you Isaac...I may experiment with it first. I would be using it for 400 Sq feet of mosaic project. So I'm not sure if I want to switch materials from something I know, but it REALLY needs to hold up to outdoor weather, moisture, etc.

I currently use sanded Polyblend grout, let it cure, and then coat it with Dupont Bulletproof sealant (which is made for stone.) I found that it was great for grout...problem is, I don't want to RE-grout 400 sq ft on down the road, lol!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, ej68. Please change that signature line to a first name for us to use. We're a pretty friendly group hereabouts.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Stone Dude

I wouldn't be too optimistic about finding a sealer that's going to waterproof your grout in one shot. Grout is very porous, (except the specialty grouts). If you havent grouted yet, you should look into the products already mentioned.

STT VRM Desert Blend is an extremely effective UV stable impregnator. It wont seal the grout in one shot, but it dries quickly and does not take a long time to apply multiple coats properly. There is nearly no odor with this one.

Prosoco SLX 100 and Dry Treat Stain Proof are also very good ones, but the odor is very strong.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
EJ68

Can do, CX!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
EJ68

Thank you Cameron...looks like I have some more sample testing to do...and then there's the topic of GRAFFITI...I tested an anti-graffiti product that left a hideous coating on the glass mosaic...spray paint is relatively easy to get off of glass, but not grout, (not surprising since it's porous.)

I just want it all! I want a waterproof, weatherproof grout (or sealant that makes it as such), a couple of coats, but not have to re-apply...it that so wrong, lol?

Last edited by EJ68; 08-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.
EJ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Not so wrong at all, Erica, so long as you're such a citizen as is prepared for substantial disappointment.

Can you install these mosaics in places less accessible to the vandals? Are you in an area where shooting them is considered acceptable?

If you do a lot of this, I really think some experimenting with the epoxy grouts would clearly be in order. There is nothing at all I've seen come by these forums that would make painted graffiti any easier to remove from sanded cementitious grout. Might still be a problem with epoxy, but less so.

You might also look into the urethane-based grouts. We tried some Star Quartz a while back and found it to be pretty useful. Now belongs to Bostik and has one or more different names and possibly still some intermittent problems, but I've had some test panels laying out in the weather for several years and the grout condition is excellent. Might be better than what you're using. Might not.

My opinion; worth price charged.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler

<-- Has been Houston's leading Graffiti fighter for the last 7 years

There are spray on coatings made to provide a graffiti proof shield. The one i last heard of doesn't effect the look of the surface applied to, even glass. The school district uses it right here in Houston. All you need is their special solution to wipe the graffiti away.

Send me a PM and I'll send the contact info for Superior Products International Southwest.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
EJ68

Don't taze me bro...

CX, I don't want to draw my Sig if I don't have to. ;-) The mosaics will be on a major roadway, so I don't have the luxury of wishing away taggers, unfortunately...I am always refining my skills and materials as best I can...I probably will use what I have been, but still run some more product tests. It may be the grout I use rather than a sealant, a modified grout, or epoxy grout...then again, I just may poke my eyes out and call it a day.

Paul, thank you as well...is the product Clariant G-Shiled 74 Bright by any chance? I got a sample from the manufacturer-they use it for subways, bus, transport, airport terminals. It sounded promising for glass, but didn't turn out that way.

A good sealant that protects glass and grout from moisture really well (with one or two applications and not needing to reseal) and releases spray paint easily...now that's just funny. I looked into sacrificial graffiti coatings, but they are waxy and dull the glass appearance.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com