Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
noreallyno772

How to clean Stains on Laticrete SpectraLock Grout

Hi Guys,
I have a rent house that has Spectralock grout, originally a very light yellowish color, that is just horribly "stained". After 5 minutes of scrubbing I was able to clean about 6" worth. It never did get back to the original color, just a dirty looking lightish color.

Is there any product that will clean this up? I have heard that an oxy-bleach type of product might help.

If cleaning fails, is it possible to put a thin layer of Spectralock on top of the existing grout? The top of the grout is ~1/32" to 1/16" below the tile surface. is that enough depth to get a layer to stick?

thanks,
Fred
Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Floorlifer
doing Floor to life.

Fred,

There are some quality grout and tile cleaning products on the market. Look into Aqua Mix Heavy Duty Tile and Grout cleaner, I've gotten great feedback with this product. If all else fails, you could consider a grout colorant and sealer. You could even get the same Laticrete color and re-color it. This route would help prevent stains from re-appearing in the future

Lance
www.floorlife.com
Old 07-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
hbrothberg

Cleaning Grout .....

Some comments from our technical support team:

"Usually a bleaching type cleanser (e.g. soft scrub with bleach, Clorox clean-up, etc..) with a scrub pad / brush. Typically, routine mopping will not get down far enough into the grout joint to actually lift up the dirt / soil."

From our literature:

ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
LATICRETE SpectraLOCK PRO Grout is stain resistant when properly installed and allowed to cure properly. It is, unfortunately, not self-cleaning. Routine maintenance can be done with detergents and a sponge or mop. For tough or difficult to remove soil, a bleaching cleaner (e.g. Soft Scrub, Comet, Ajax, etc. or electric dishwashing detergent) on a nylon scrubbing pad or a long handled stiff bristle brush can be used. Please note: Prior to using any cleaning material on a tile, etc. installation, test a discrete area or scrap piece of tile to insure desired results.

Also ....

Take a look at the attached.

Henry
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TDS400 PRO.pdf (63.1 KB, 540 views)
Office: (203) 393-0010 ext 202
Cell: (203) 988-1814

Full Disclosure: I am a 2nd generation Laticrete guy !
Follow my Blog: www.laticrete.blogspot.com
hbrothberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
35Anderson

any type of bleach based product should help tremendously.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Fred, Welcome!

What were you using to attempt cleaning?

Can you post a photo?

Usually a tile & stone specific high alkaline cleaner will do the trick. It's very important to allow the product to dwell on the surface of extremely soiled surfaces for at least 10 minutes. It is essential to not allow the product not to dry on the surface, which would require reapplication.

Agitation with a stiff bristle brush will also promote premium results.

Removal of the dirty solution with a wet vac will facilitate cleanup, as well as minimize spreading of the soil.

Rinsing may or may not be necessary, depending on the products dilution.

I have used grout colorant on SpectaLock, with successful results. The key will be the epoxy will still need to be thoroughly cleaned beforehand. If you decide to go this route, I strongly suggest to perform a bond TEST before doing the entire area.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com