Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
sabrinadeidre

How much Grout & Thinset do i need PLEASE HELP!

I need non sanded grout for 280 square feet and also thinset for drywall for the 280 square feet. The tile will be 6x6.

I need sanded grout for the floors and a thinset for wood for 940 square feet. The tile is 20x20.

I am not sure how much grout i need for both of those, and what a thinset is or how much i need of that?

This is my first home so its new construction, and i was told to get these things. I just want to make sure im getting the right materials.

If anyone can help, that will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Also, it is Ceramic Tile for both the wall & floor.

Last edited by sabrinadeidre; 07-14-2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: more information
sabrinadeidre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Sabrina.

Seems like whomever "told you" to supply these products should also have told you which products and how much.

Most manufacturer's of setting and grouting materials will have some sort of chart for calculating quantities. Generally on the packaging or on their Internet website.

For grout you generally need to know the size of the tiled area, the tile size and the intended grout joint width.

For the thinset mortar it's helpful to know the substrate material, flatness, and the flatness of the backs of the intended tile. You indicate "a thinset for wood," which would seem to indicate you intend to bond your tiles directly to some wood surface. We generally recommend against that.

I think you need more information from the person sending you out to purchase these materials.

And we would need more information to know if he's the right person, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Welcome Sabrina.

Typically, the tile contractor supplies those items based on a number of installation details, budget, etc... I'm curious why they would task you with something like that?? The most important part to a lasting tile installation is what's behind the tile; the stuff you don't see after it's installed. And there are many options for mortar and grout as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina
I need non sanded grout for 280 square feet and also thinset for drywall for the 280 square feet. The tile will be 6x6.
-is the surface of the walls bare drywall, with no drywall finish?
-is any of this within a wet area like a tub/shower or shower?
-what is grout joint width?
-what is the pattern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina
I need sanded grout for the floors and a thinset for wood for 940 square feet. The tile is 20x20.
-you're setting over a wood floor and not concrete?
could you tell us a little about the floor construction and prep?
-what is the size, spacing and maximum unsupported span of the joists?
-what layer or layers of plywood or wood are above the joists and how are they installed?
-what material is directly below the tile & thinset?
-what is the grout joint width?
-is this tile porcelain or soft bodied ceramic or ?

You may be just fine with all the prep for both walls and floor, I hope you don't mind wanting to verify first.

...and what CX said too...

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

I agree with CX and Dana, but have one more question. Did a tile contractor send you out to get these supplies? If so that sounds real fishy to me. On the rare occasion that I have a customer that wants to buy materials, and have my labor sepperate (I really don't like doing jobs that way, I like providing my own materials) I will say o.k. but I go get the supplies and then hand you a receipt, or I suppose if a customer really wanted to go get them themselves (I have never had that happen) I would give them a list that would need to be matched exactly. If my name is going on a job, I want the exact materials I want.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
bbcamp

Whoever buys the materials is usually responsible for the quality and quantity, plus any costs associated with running out in the middle of the job. If you are acting as General Contractor, this may be a moot point, but if you have a GC, you will be giving him a lot of wiggle room to add charges down the road.

If you are just trying to help, get more and better instructions from whoever asked you to do this, and make it clear you are being a un-paid gofer, not acting as the owner supplying the materials.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com