Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
rossow (mn)

Subfloor thickness for Ditra?

I have never used Ditra and need advice. Assuming framing provides adequate protection against deflection, am I correct that I can apply Ditra over 3/4-inch T&G glued-and-screwed plywood subfloor, then 1/4-inch 12x12 ceramic tile over the Ditra? I'm from the old school that learned subfloor under tile should be at least 1-1/8" thick (e.g., 3/4 + cement board). Does the isolating function of Ditra let me get by without the cement board (again, assuming subfloor/framing meet deflection standards)? Ditra seems too good to be true in helping keep floor thickness down where new floor butts against old floor in an addition. Am I off-track here? Please advise.

Last edited by rossow (mn); 07-10-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo - repeat words
rossow (mn) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome back, rossow (mn). Please put a first name in a permanent signature line for us to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossow
I'm from the old school that learned subfloor under tile should be at least 1-1/8" thick (e.g., 3/4 + cement board)
Gotta be a really old school. Never been such a requirement that I'm aware of. Lotta misconceptions out there about it, though.

The subflooring requirement for use with any CBU is specified by the CBU manufacturer, and is generally specified using their thinnest material. Use of half-inch CBU (or thicker) is indicated only when it's desirable to raise the tile installation. The subfloor requirement remains the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossow
...am I correct that I can apply Ditra over 3/4-inch T&G glued-and-screwed plywood subfloor, then 1/4-inch 12x12 ceramic tile over the Ditra?
That would depend upon your joist spacing. If you'll go to the Schluter website, you'll find their requirements for the use of Ditra in most any common subflooring situation. Their instructions are usually very clear.

Ditra is not too good to be true, it's simply a higher-tech replacement product for more traditional CBU underlayments. Still requires the same joist deflection and subflooring considerations as other such products. And it's easier to use than most.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com