Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
2scratch

Best thinset for porcelain tile

I am remodeling my bathroom. Because of many revisions in the plan (wife) before the plan was set I have ended up with a painted green sheetrock wall where I will be placing 10" x 20" porcelain tiles. This is not a tub or shower wall and will not get wet. I was going to put up 1/4" hardibacker and screw it according to their instructions. My questions are
1. Do I need the hardibacker since the wall is painted or will the thinset stick to the paint?
2. What thinset is best?

Thanks
Bill
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
bbcamp

Thinset will stick to the painted walls. Scuff the paint a little first. Any modified thinset will work.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
2scratch

On to the shower

I am getting ready to frame the back wall to my shower. Between this wall and the corner tub is a row of 20" x 20" porcelain tile that is parallel to the wall I am getting ready to build. I am trying to squeeze every inch of space to make the shower as big as possible. Here is my question.

I want to move 1.5" of the 3.5" wall over the tile. Actually I will notch the bottom plate so it will not touch the tile but sit above just barely. Two inches of the bottom plate will sit on the concrete slab. The wall will be six feet high and have 20" x 10" porcelain tile on both sides of the wall. After I build the wall what can I put between the bottom plate and the tile or am I eventually going to see the floor tile crack from the weight.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
bbcamp

If the tile was set properly, that wall won't hurt them. However, consider cutting the tile so you can build the wall such that the sill plate is fully on concrete (it will be much more stable that way). An angle grinder and diamond blade can be used to cut down into the tile along the wall's edge, then you can chip out the tile where the wall will go. Use the grinder to remove any remaining thinset from the slab.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com