Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 07-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
clovers78

White film on new grout

I just had my tile installed, the tiles are 6x24 and look like wood floor but are porcelin tiles. The guy that installed it was really messy, leaving mortar and grout all over my freshly painted walls and patio. The grout was finished last Tuesday and it now has a white haze to it. The grout color is mocha. Is there anyway to get the white out of the grout before we seal it? Also the tiles themselves look dirty in the sunlight, like you can see spots and marks on them. How can I remove this? I can't live with a floor that looks like it needs to be mopped.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
koihito
No one of consequence.

The white haze is likely efflorescence (salts leaching to the surface). You can start by getting a grout haze remover/efflorescence remover (available at any bigbox store) and follow the directions. It should take care of both problems.

If it doesn't work there are more aggressive measures that will, but start there first.

No one of consequence...

www.TellJapan.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
clovers78

Thanks! I had a tile professional come out last night and he stated that the white looking grout was due to the original installer not letting the grout set long enough in the bucket before applying it. He said the only way to get rid of the white is to do a grout stain. Does this sound right?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
bbcamp

I've not heard that explaination before. I've heard of using too much water in the mix, too much water in the cleanup and too much water evaporating through the slab, but never grouting too soon. If he meant that the grout wasn't allowed to "slake" long enough, he might be right.

Try the mild acid scrub Nathan suggested first. It's a lot easier than hand painting all your grout lines with a colorant (stain). Since this is a mild acid, allow it to sit on the grout for a few minutes, then scrub with a stiff synthetic bristle brush, repeating as needed. Rinse well with clean water and allow to dry. If you see progress, continue until the color is right and all the grout haze on the tile is gone.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
clovers78

I am thinking that is what he meant. He said when you mix the grout you can't put it in immediately after mixing, but you have to wait 5-10 minutes. He also did mention that too much water may have been used. If this is the case do you think the solution you are speaking of will bring back the mocha color? At tihs point anything is worth a shot because it looks terrible. Thank you so much for the advice. Had my original installer been licensed I would make him come out and redo it all but he is refusing.....so I am refusing to pay until I get it fixed.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Usually there are two scenarios,one as explained is too much water in cleanup stripping out the color pigment.
The other is a latex migration to the top of the grout joint.The latex if not slaked,too much water is used, or a severe drying situation will separate and rise to the top like cream.
As suggested try the acid wash, you may need to use a broom or brush to reach the joint and not just slide over the top of the tile.If this doesn't work you will have to scrape and regrout,or colorseal as suggested.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
clovers78

Ok I will try the grout haze remover and see if that works...it sounds easier than staining it. I'll let you know. Thank you so much!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com