Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
muddysmiles

how long does it take for grout to dry?

got the ceramic tile laid today. will be dry enough tomorrow for the grout but im wondering how long it will take for it to dry. we really need to get the hot water heater back in the bathroom, lol. dont know if this matters but the tile was put over concrete. thanks so much!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Tina.

If you want to follow tile industry guidelines you'll keep traffic off that floor for 72 hours after the tiles are set with a cementitious thinset mortar.

And for something like installing the water heater, with a couple people and a heavy load, I'd certainly wanna follow that guideline. And even at that I'd wanna protect the floor with some plywood or similar material.

But if you wanna hurry and take your chances, that's up to you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's best to wait 72 hours like CX said but we usually don't have that much time. I would give it at least 24 hours. Many times we use cardboard to protect the floor but if the heater is leaking or the cardboard gets wet, get it pulled up . Sometimes the wet cardboard can bleed brown into the fresh grout.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
muddysmiles

Smile

thanks so much for your comments!!! i think we are going to wait until thursday to put the water heater in. i know its not exactly 72 hrs but im hoping its long enough. the bathroom had ugly blue laminate tiles before and i really dont want to mess up the beautiful job my husband did by not waiting long enough. thank you once again!!!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com