Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
6fthook

Tile over drywall joint compound?

Hello everyone!

We recently bought our first house and currently in the process of remodeling A LOT.

In the kitchen we replaced a lot of the drywall because while taking off a plastic sheet backsplash it was next to impossible not to take the paper and cardboard off the drywall. I hung some new drywall, used fibatape, and used joint compound.

We are planning on doing a tile backsplash, and I've been reading that tiling with thinset mortar over drywall joint compound is bad. So now my plan is to again rip down the drywall that I hung, hang new drywall, and use fibatape, then thinset for the joints. Then once the cabinets come in and are intalled, do a tile backsplash. Is this a good idea or is there an easier way?

If ripping down the drywall is the best option, should I use a drywall saw and only take out the sections that will be tiled after the cabinets are intalled, or should I jut take out all drywall that has joint compound on it?

Thank!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Gavin.

Damaged sheetrock should always be replaced as a rule. It's not really harmful to tile a kitchen splash over some sheetrock mud, but if there's a lot of repair I'd replace it. Large areas of sheetrock mud should generally be primed, (not finish painted), before tiling.

If you replace areas of sheetrock, fill and tape the joints with sheetrock mud and paper tape. Much stronger joints than the mesh stuff.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
6fthook

I just finished putting up new drywall since there was ALOT of drywall compound. The backsplash area behind the stove is 36" wide, and all the way to the ceiling behind the hood vent, in addition to the area between the wall and base cabinets throughout the kitchen.

Should I:

1. Use alkali resistive mesh tape to tape the joints and then use thin-set for the joints like I would normally finish drywall with joint compound? Then once it's dry and set, use thin-set to set the tiles?

2. Or should I just tape it with the alkali resistive mesh tape, then thin-set and set the tiles?

Modified or un-modified thin-set?

Thanks!

Last edited by 6fthook; 07-07-2011 at 12:25 PM.
6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
bbcamp

Prep the wall as if you were going to paint it: drywall tape and mud, then a coat of primer. Then use any modified thinset to set the tiles.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com