Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 05-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
JoeC
Tile and Marble Contractor in So.Cal

Diamond bits for regrouting

About 18 months ago, I was hired a customer who fired her first three tile men and then asked me finish up her job. (I told her I would only do it Time and Materials) She did her own layout, can you tell?
She decided that the grout job the others did was unacceptable, so she started re-grouting their work( a wainscoat around a whole room for the tub) while I was finishing the shower room.
She told me that she found some really great and sturdy diamond bits available only on-line for her dremel. Any one know a source for some bits that last more than a few minutes doing butt-joint regrouts?
The ones I have bought before break when they hit the lugs on even ceramic tiles. I have both a Roto-zip and Dremel. JoeC
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Try these guys out. I bought a few bits to cut porcelain tile already installed for some HVAC ducts. Dry cut...they went through it like hard butter. Grout is going to be a field day for these bits.

Industrial Contractors Supplies, Inc.
- Dust Director Division -
15061 Route 30 N. Huntingdon, PA 15642
Ph: 412 . 824 . 6933 Fax: 412 . 824 . 4704 www.dustdirector.com
Old 05-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
HYDROHANDLE

Keep in mind, diamond bits can grind tile as well as grout. If you are about to grind the grout out this bathroom with a high speed round diamond attachment having minor damage to some of tile is likely. In most cases, not a big deal but it sounds like this client is a ball breaker.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Tiletim
Lost in the details

Joe,
I hope you are charging accordingly.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
JoeC
Tile and Marble Contractor in So.Cal

Thanks for all three replies! This job pictured was finished in late '09. The customer wasthe one who told me to check on line for th bits. She followed me around all day talking, showing me things that she didn't like from the other 3 tile guys. It was OK, since I worked by the day, for good money but she drove me crazy after the first week. That's why I couldn't make myself call her and ask about the bits again! JoeC

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com