Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #61
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie
I am curious as to how the stone mfg'er manages to get the nice "mica-like" surface, but it can disappear under a grinding.
Might want to post this question in the "Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing" forum along with a description of your stone & some photos. Might also include a link to this thread. Those folks will probably be able to answer it.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #62
josie235
DIYer

Great suggestion Dana....I'll do that as a followup.

So, I grouted just the area around the toilet expecting the plumber back yesterday. Expecting him today, so I didn't want to grout the remaining floor last night and have him walking on it so soon. I am posting a pic of it.

So we diverted our attention to Kerdi in the shower. We installed some more corners and then did the 2 niches using the template from this forum. Just like John says, take your time was the best advice. I dampened the greenboard, burned in mud in the entire inside, then mudded the full inside, combed all of it then quickly covered the ridges with the templated piece. Took quite a while to smooth the back and sides, but it came out pretty good. I did discover areas where the thinset didn't want to adhere to the drywall primer, but worked them as best as I could.

1. After reading in many posts about Kerdi buildup, we decided to miter cut the outside corners of the Kerdi- insides are overlapped fully, but since the 2 niches are so close, we were afraid of ending up with 4 layers of Kerdi in these spots. The full face area (same plane as wall) will receive Kerdi as the walls are done. But I am beginning to wonder if we left pinholes in that little corner. Any thoughts?

2. I have not seen much info regarding Kerdi coverage around the valves in cases where the valve is not round- the shower kit included the Kerdi-Seal-MV, but it's round. Should we wrap Kerdi inside to cover the cut edge of drywall? Should we just make a bunch of cuts to wrap it inside? Attached pic of valve area...
Attached Images

Last edited by josie235; 06-04-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: add info
josie235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #63
bbcamp

1) Smear a little Kerdi-fix or 100% silicone caulk over the pinhole if you are worried about it.

2) Install the Kerdi mat to the edge of the cut opening. Smear the cut edge of the drywall with Kerdi-fix or 100% silicone caulk. Caulk the trim plate to the tile after you have made all adjustments you need to.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #64
josie235
DIYer

Bob,
Thanks for the input. Since we have not needed the Kerdi-fix yet, we'll plan to use 100% silicone caulk on both questionable areas.

We will be putting up the large sheets of Kerdi tomorrow. From everything I have read in the eBook and forum, sounds like the recommended method is to hang it vertically, with 2 of us working together, unrolling as we comb the thinset. We used a 6" drywall knife to install the corners and niches, so we'll use that again.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #65
josie235
DIYer

So, all the Kerdi is in place. Took all day between the measuring, cutting and installing, but it's done now... full sheets were actually easier than the niches since I was only working on 1 plane. I am attaching a pic of one happy kerdi gal...

The re-ordered mosaic accent tile doesn't arrive until Friday, so I'll begin dry laying the tiles and working an an updated layout (having had to switch from the honed quartzite to the mosaic).

I do have a question- I have seen a lot of information regarding skipping the first course of wall tiles and saving their installation until after the floor is in. Is that a standard only when both the walls and floor are tiles? I am using sliced marble on sheets for the floor and expect a bit of irregularity wrt the line that would meet the bottom of that first course of tile. In my case, does it make more sense to lay all of the wall tiles, then do the floor?
Attached Images

Last edited by josie235; 06-05-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: add pics
josie235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #66
dhagin

Looks good Josie.

The wall/floor question is similar to the curb side/floor question earlier. Either will work fine from a shower function standpoint. Pick the one that works best/easiest with your specific tiles.

Are the 'sliced marble on sheets' all uniform thickness or varied like the floor stone?

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #67
josie235
DIYer

They are all the same height. Attached is a pic of them from thew website.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #68
SMOOT

Wow, josie...great job!

Your attention to detail and stamina are an inspiration to all of us DIY'ers!

I'm going to stay tuned for the next pic's.

And your dog is too cute.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #69
dhagin

I think with those tiles I'd leave the bottom wall tile off, set floor and then stick the last wall tile in. If they're all the same thickness, shouldn't be too difficult to get them flat at the perimeter. You can skim a little thinset around the perimeter to straighten things out a little, like where there's any build up from multiple Kerdi layers or little dips...

This way, you can hide the individual floor cuts under the wall tile and maybe even leave out some little slivers without noticing. You can even scribe the bottom tile to the floor if you'd like, which I think would still be easier than all those little precision cuts.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #70
josie235
DIYer

Smoot,
Thanks for the good words... having no other bathroom in the house is a real "encourager" for finding stamina that's long gone. But I have learned that too much fatigue can be a signal to stop before it results in rework.

I did realize too late that I had stretched my skillset when choosing a natural, unguaged stone for the floor- geez, all I did was find something that looked very nice with the Blue Pearl vanity top. I truly expected the delivered stone to look a lot like the sample mounted on the board- similar thickness, minimal clefting,etc... the joke was on me. But the guys on this forum have been great and I think it turned out pretty decent.

Yes, Gordita (Gordy, the dog) was cute....unfortunately he went to doggie heaven a couple of months ago...

Dana,
OK...good advice. I did help someone lay pebbles in a shower floor a couple of years ago and those sliver cuts on individual stones was no fun. I'll dry lay the floor with wall tile this week and see how it goes.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #71
SMOOT

I'm sorry to hear about Gordy.

All of your work will pay off big time the first time you stand back and sigh..."ahhh...it's all done...and I did it!".

Yes! I agree; the help and resources at this site are FAB.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #72
bbcamp

When you are ready for another dog, she will be waiting for you at your local animal shelter.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #73
josie235
DIYer

Smoot,
You are so right! My day job is spent at a computer and on the phone- and due to the nature of my work, I don't usually get to see the results. But, put me in the garden or on a DIY project and I am in heaven. Instant feedback...

Bob,
Yes, I have had 2 German Shepherds and this chihuahua. While they were great dogs, my next dog will be a medium sized mutt with short hair from the shelter.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #74
bbcamp

Here's a picture of Maggie when we picked her up from the shelter 7 years ago:

Here is a recent pic:

Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #75
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Arrgh! Must see recent pic! C'mon Bob you tease...

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com