Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Removing Mold From Grout

I received an email from a customer today regarding mold removal from the grout in the shower. What we usually do is have one of our sales guys or tech answer the question and post it to our blog so people in need of information can use it for help later on.

Since mold removal is not our specialty, and I know there are already posts on this, I would like to try something new. JB is full of people that really know there stuff. If someone is willing, I am looking for someone to respond to this as if they were giving directions in an informative article so we can post it on our site.

Whoever posts or adds to the information, will get full credit, a link to their company's site and we will link back to this thread with full disclosure and support for the JB forums.

The only information I have so far, it a green stain on the grout right outside the shower. It is about the size of a pencil eraser and was not sealed since it is not inside the shower (but still susceptible to getting wet).

Thanks in advance everyone!

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Daniel

As you already know, mold is a tough topic to address. I learned in a seminar a while back to refer to it as BOG (Biological Organic Growth). There is no set solution. Some is established on the surface, such as perimeter caulk joints, caused by entrapment of soap or shampoo residual. Other can be subsurface, such as appearing on the surface of the grout, but actually starting on the paper surface of wet drywall, thus it's constant reappearance after cleaning.

Lastly, the worst case scenario, I will call internal. One example is when extreme moisture is present in a wall cavity, and various types of mold are growing (some of which is toxic and can severely affect the health of sensitive individuals).

This is when a mold remediation team must be sent in. If contractors uncover this type of situation, it is their duty to notify the homeowner of the situation, and hire a mold remediation team. It will be the contractors liability if he doesn't take the appropriate action.

The scenarios that I have described above are why there is no simple solution. While they vary from mild to extreme, IMHO, they really require an on site visit to determine the cause of the growth to give accurate advise on possible remedies.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Here you go John! Thanks for your help.

http://stonetooling.wordpress.com/20...ld-from-grout/

Would love to post any other information for those who have an answer to this.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase