Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
gmckay60

cast iron drain and kerdi drain?

I am about to tear out my shower and totally remodel it. Nothing about this project bothers me except the 40 year old cast iron drain. Is there a Kerdi drain that will adapt to a cast iron drain pipe??
I have torn out the walls and can see the edges of the old lead pan , but can't tell yet howthe piece the drain cover screws to is attached.
Thanks, Geoff
Old 05-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

what is the pipe made of that the cast iron connects to? My old house had a cast iron drain it was connected to male threads that were sweated to 2" copper, i cut all the adapters out and used a fernco and 2" pvc to adapt the drain and used a normal kerdi drain. I would go that route but schluter makes an adapter for the convention shower drains.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Geoff,

Schuter makes adapters for just about any type of drain plumbing. Check out their products at www.schluter.com

Lots of times, though, we suggest changing the cast iron plumbing to plastic right up to the vent/waste stack.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
gmckay60

Thumbs up

I can see the inside of the cast iron pipe from the top where the drain cover attaches all the way down to the where the trap should start so I know it is cast iron all the way up.
I will look on the Kerdi site for the adapter!
Thanks Guys!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

Just make sure the pipes in good condition, no sense in using the adapter and then having a plumbing issue in 3 years. I'm with John I would change to pvc using s 3" donut at the nearest T in the system.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

You'll know when you get to the drain whether the adapter will work. Some of those old c.i. drains have too small a diameter to allow the Kerdi Drain adapters to work. Had one last year like that.

Either way, I'm with everyone else. Now's the time to upgrade the trap & drain. It's useful lifespan is the same as the shower you're tearing out.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
gmckay60

How to attach shower pan CPE liner to kerdi curb?

Because of my cast iron drain issues I will be using a cpe Liner with a new Kerdi curb. How do I attach the side of the liner to the curb? Thinset??
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Geoff. It'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title (recommended) any time you'd like to suggest one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff
Because of my cast iron drain issues I will be using a cpe Liner with a new Kerdi curb.
Not sure that computes well. Are you now planning to build a traditional mud/liner/mud shower pan? If so, the Kerdi curb will be of no use to you at all.

The CPE can be bonded to itself and to some other materials with specific adhesives, but I don't know if any of the adhesives can be used on foam such as the Kerdi curb.

Tell us more about your new plan.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
gmckay60

sorry for the confusion. Thanks for catching my mistake. Yes I am going with the traditional mud shower pan using a liner. Did not realize before I ordered the kerdi curb that I could not attach the liner to it. i should have come to the forum first. I guess kiln dried 2 X 4's will have to do.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

While it may be possible to attach the CPE to that foam somehow, Geoff, I'm not seeing what good that would do you at all.

Perhaps if you go to the Shower Construction thread in our whirl-famous Liberry you'll see how a traditional liner is handled at the curb area and it'll be more clear to you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff
Because of my cast iron drain issues I will......???......
Rick, John, Dana and CX pretty much said it above, but I think its a huge mistake to let a 40 yr old drain dictate how you build a brand new shower.

I'd take a step back, and figure out what needs to be done to your drain/trap/etc. Once its fixed/updated, then re-evaluate your rebuild method with your plumbing worries out of the equation.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
gmckay60

Colored silicone caulk supplier ?

Can anyone point me to a good supplier of colored silicone caulk? I need a burnt sienna type brown. I guess regular brown might do but my new shower tile has a marbleized type swirl of this color I would like to match with caulk in the corners of the shower.
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Laticrete makes "Latisil" in about 21 colors to match their grout colors.

Tec makes silicone to match a bunch of their colors.

And ColorRite is an independent manufacturer, but makes "ColorSil" in 44 different colors. They have made extensive cross reference charts, so it's easy to call them to see if they have a match with your brand/color.

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits." - The guy on the two dollar bill.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
SMOOT

Hi, gmckay60:

I had great luck with the 100% silicone caulk by Tec Accucolor; the colour stayed dark and consistent. It was very dark grey, not brown, but I know they make several shades of brown, and at least a couple are dark.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
gmckay60

Wink

Thanks guys great sources!!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com