Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 04-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
ThomasTable

Make Marble-Tiled Tabletop Waterproof

As I value any time spent helping me, I will try to be to the point and provide everything I know.

OBJECTIVE: make the table worry free in regards to spilling water, milk, etc. Basically, etch proof and low maintenance.

OBJECT: a new, somewhat cheap marble tabletop. Tiled, perhaps "marble laminate" (not sure what that means really)?
MANUFACTURER: Acme Furniture
ORIGIN: China
MARBLE TYPE: not sure on exact name but is black and some dark gray, with white vains and blotches, and reasonably shiny (a similar looking image found on Google is eurasian .com/spain/marble/negro_marquina.html or images2.layoutsparks .com/1/132541/red-hot-black-marble.gif)
LONGEVITY: 10 years is good enough, beyond that is icing on the cake. I'm ok if I have to do some new coatings every >4 years, but not yearly.
CURRENT COATING: I believe it has some cheap lacquer on it. It already has some spots that, when viewed at an angle, look less shiny. Rubbing with cloth&water does nothing. Also, some small areas (mainly the thicker white ones) still feel a touch rough, but 98% of it feels smooth.
MY KNOWLEDGE: I have been reading these forums for 6+ hours. Learnt a ton but having trouble now applying to my own situation with confidence.
MY PLAN: Test area for removing the coating, Test area of new stuff over top of previously dulled areas (to see if shine returns), remove the remaining coating fully, put on the new stuff.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Is my type of product likely porous? My guess: partially on top, but yes between tiles.

2. What category of products will meet my needs? My guess: skip the sealers, go for a high quality catalytic lacquer (this StoneSpecific one from HDepot has a 20 year guarantee and mentions acids: custombuildingproducts .com/docs/data_sheets/SSPMSDS.pdf?user=pro&lang=en).

3. What category of products would be tempting but I should avoid because its a common mistake?

4. How worry-free am I likely to get?

5. Thoughts on silicone sealants in this case?

Thanks a bunch for any help I can get!

Last edited by ThomasTable; 04-09-2011 at 02:14 AM.
ThomasTable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Thomas, Welcome!

1. Most black marbles are extremely acid sensitive. Do you have a picture of the table? A laminated stone top usually has no grout and extremely thin pieces of stone are cut & glued to a wood substrate.

2. The product you referred to is not a catalytic lacquer. It is very cleverly written. It will not give you adequate protection against acid etching.

3. For your goal you want to stay away from impregnating sealers. You need a topical coating. A piece of glass is my best suggestion for ultimate protection.

4. Worry free against everything except the glass itself being scratched.

5. No. Wax, lacquer, or glass are your only options against etching this stone.

Note: These are my personal opinions. Others will hopefully chime in with something that I am unaware of.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Houston Remodeler

Examine this 'marble very closely. Make sure it isn't marble veneer, which is 1/8 or 1/16" thick over some sort of substrate.

I was asked to put lipstick on a pig refurbish a vanity countertop which sounds just like what you are describing. It went OK but I sent the homeowner out looking for a new counter top.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
A couple silly questions:
1. What are your plans for the table? (outside on the patio? dining room inside? kitchen work space?)
2. ANy reason why are you so attached to the Acme marble top?

Why not just change it to something that would be much easier to maintain and able to last the 10 years you hope for?

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Adrianna

I'm guessing Thomas already has this piece in his possession.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Good morning, John

I'm suggesting he changes out the problem top. We recently replaced a vanity top of what I can almost guarantee was the same material. The stuff is awful. It is sensitive to water and scratches if you look at it wrong.

Paul is right - trying to save that piece of patchwork stone really would be a waste of time and effort.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com