Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
fltileguy81

Whats the going rate for floor tile install where you are at?

I live in Florida and it is hard to get good money for tile work here. Unless you are doing high end custom work for somebody in a million dollar plus home than it seems you have to compete with $1-maybe $2 per sq ft. It seems people dont care about quality these days and just want to take there chances on going cheap. I just dont know how somebody can make a good living doing tile for a buck a foot. Obviously diagnol or any kind of pattern is going to be more, but I'm talkin straight set tile, people are installing it for about $1 sq ft around here. Crazy!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

I don't know . . . Brian seems to do ok in FL. Guess he's figgered a way to stetch a buck a foot at his co.

Topspin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

between $80 to $100 a square meter, that includes supply of adhesive, grout, silicone does not include fitting underlay or leveling floors or supply of tiles, large areas cheaper

no matter where you go.......there you are

Last edited by Jim Farrell Tiler; 04-04-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Jim Farrell Tiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Andy, I would recommend you start charging by the sq. meter like Jim does instead a by the sq. ft. I think you'll make a lot more.

I have heard as well all have about the 1.00 a sq. ft. tile rate down there. Let the people who have large floors hire people at the 1.00 a sq. ft. rate. If I was you I would be trying to get into the higher end custom building. Myself, I don't try to compete with the guys who can do a big floor in a day or two.

Personally I want to work for people who understand and appreciate what it takes to have skills in tilesetting. Customers who understand quality usually don't mind paying for it and giving you the time to do it. Brian is successful because he has been doing tile a long time has the experience. He knows it is just better to go eat a nice juicy cheesesteak then to spend time at a job where they don't want it right and don't want to pay a person to do it right. He has instinct, he knows when there is too much cheese wiz on his steak

If I hear a homeowner saying they just watched one a those DIY programs put out by the big box stores then I know they are under the impression the job can be complete in 1/2 hour As a skilled craftsman you need to find people who want quality work and appreciate it. Not as easy as you would think but either is getting established in the trade. Takes years and patience

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile
CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA

jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
ccrow
Clifton

In OK, I"m getting $3.50 per ft for 12" (avg size) and more for smaller, larger or a pattern. Most people that I run into know that a good job from a decent person that you would want in your home costs money and they are happy to pay for it. Time, sometimes they think it should go faster and assume there has been a problem if it doesn't, but in the end, they are all happy and willing to pay.
ccrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondon
Andy, I would recommend you start charging by the sq. meter like Jim does instead a by the sq. ft. I think you'll make a lot more.

I don't get it - $100/sq meter = ~ $9.25 a foot.

Or if you charge by the meter is it easier to round up the footage?

edit: The guy at the tile store said $5.50 per foot and up, without grouting.

My Master Bath Project

Last edited by Frank Drebin; 04-05-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
bbcamp

Justin, Jim Farrell lives and works in New Zealand. Meters are the way they measure. The exchange rate is 1.3 $NZ to 1 $US. He's getting $5.80 to $7.28 (US) a sq. ft., minus his setting materials. Considering how much his truck costs, he's probably clearing about a $1-2 per square foot.

Jon was making a funny about billing in meters.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Frank Drebin

Thanks Bob.

My Master Bath Project
Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
ob1kanobee

Don't sell price/rates, sell concepts. Doing this will automatically set you apart from others but will also weed out the folks you don't want to work for.

People get hung up on rates because of a seed that someone else planted in their mind. You must remove the seed and plant a concept/s in their brain. Try question based selling, get the customer engaged, let them connect with you and you're passion as to why your concept/s will make their buying/owning experience 'feel' better immediately and for years to come. Also,sell yourself, sell YOU.

Remember also in sales, you have to change the way you think if you expect the customer to not see you as fake. This gains trust and with trust cones everything else the customer has to offer (including proper monies for services rendered).

Remember, it doesn't matter what one guy gets paid in Alaska or another in New Zealand. It has no effect on you whatsoever. There will always be guys in those places too who are charging too little or perhaps too their work isn't even worth what little they are charging because perhaps they are hacks right?

Sell youself and sell concepts. Set goals and you can't fail. It's a universal law and the universe will seldom let you down. It's hard in the beginning to do but then again everything worth doing usually is. Good news is eventually it pays off BIG in many ways.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com