Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
steverobertburke

Tile wall, Wood ceiling interface

Tile Experts,
We are remodeling a bathroom and have tile on the walls in a shower. The ceiling in the shower is currently the exposed plywood from the subfloor of teh floor above. We are thinking about a wood ceiling such as 3/4" cedar or pine.

Please advise us about any recommended treatment that we should consider for the plywood subfloor (above shower that we would nail the 3/4" ceiling to). Also we would like to have a crisp line between tile and ceilng wood. Should we butt the wood ceiling to the tile (with a 1/4" colored latex grout line) or should we butt the tile to the ceiling wood? If someone has pictures of a nice finish, please direct me to the link.

Thanks for all the help. Steve
Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Houston Remodeler

Steve,

Tile abutting an adjoining wall gets a nice 1/8" to 1/4" gap as to allow for movement of the different planes. That joint is caulked closed. In your case (above the wet zone) I'd use a grout matching latex caulk so that it wouldn't have to be painted.

For the wood ceiling, I'd worry about the fasteners rusting....

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
bbcamp

I'd worry about the wood mildewing.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
RaymondJ
Addicted to Portland Cement

while not exactly a clean line between tile and the ceiling (in the strictest sense) my solution for closing the 1/4" gap between the tile walls and the ceiling was to make some 3/4" mini crown molding (just boards cut into 3/4" strips and routed with a roman ogee on my router) cope the edges and cut returns for where they die out on the side walls (assuming a rectangular shower)

just thought i'd offer this up, as I wasn't looking forward to a caulked joint between ceiling and tile; and this really helped to make the shower 'pop' too.

As for a wholly wood ceiling; i too would worry about repeated condensation rotting the wood; given that it is such a large surface exposed to steam. I imagine some thick poly coating could help but I don't know how much.

Last edited by RaymondJ; 03-16-2011 at 10:16 AM.
RaymondJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
steverobertburke

Raymond,
Thanks for the idea. IF possible, pls post a pic so we can see that nice trim you mentioned.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
RaymondJ

I'll try and get one in tonight, I've been meaning to get some good pics of my completed shower up here anyway
Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
RaymondJ

Here are some pics of the shower I did, tried to get some detail on the wood trim for ya; if you're interested I'm going to start a thread showing the pics of various tile projects I did in my renovation.
Attached Images

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com