Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
winston43

Custom Building Products/Aquamix???

Hi all.

I'm trying to get organized ahead of time in the event that I need to stain a backsplash. I can get Polyblend Grout Renewal from Home Depot (the grout used was Polyblend sanded) but I have zero feedback on the stuff. The other option is Aquamix Colorant from a place online - but for some reason it takes a full 2 weeks just to begin to ship. I want good results so would appreciate any feedback from past experiences. The Aquamix is twice the price and twice as long to get but if I hear that the Polyblend product is no good I will get it - my reputation is worth more than a few bucks.

Aquamix is part of Custom Building products, right? The Polyblend "Grout Renew" is a ..."water-based acrylic urethane" and the Aquamix Grout Colorant is a ..."waterborne epoxy". What factors determine which to use?

Thanks!

Last edited by winston43; 03-14-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling
winston43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
nuvoclean

have a look at Color Clad. nothing else comes close.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
winston43

Thanks Dave - will do.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
nuvoclean

sorry... should've included the site. you'll find it here:
grouterra.com
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Hi Winston,

The Aqua Mix Grout Colorant is typically a custom order on AM's part so I'm wondering if the place you found online is having it shipped to them and then shipping it back to you.

http://www.aquamixdirect.com/servlet...olorant/Detail

They get the order and it usually ships in 24-48 hours directly from the manufacturer.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
winston43

Thanks Daniel.
Have you used the colorant? Just trying to get some feedback on results. I called the Custom Building Products 800 # this morning and asked what to use between the Aquamix and Polyblend. The person really had no idea and suggested I use the Aquamix but with no practical reason. It's such a crap-shoot calling those places.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Personally, I have not. We sell it every day though (and I'm not stretching the truth). I have never received a call about an issue with the product.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
nuvoclean

I've used them both. They're both okay, can't really tell much difference working with them to be honest, but neither one of them comes close to products like Grout Perfect, Color Clad, This Old Grout Color Seal, and Grout Shields.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Francie

My handyman has used TexRite grout stain in his home and he said it has been on the floor grout for 8 years without losing its color or fading in places.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com