Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Sblaine

Thin set / mortar required for hardi board

I am installing tile on the floor of my 8x5 bathroom. I have installed 3/4 OSB as the subfloor. ( I realize that was a mistake, but it sounds like I may be okay leaving it) my question is what type of thin set or mortar should be installed between the OSB and the 1/4 hardi board. I have purchased tile from lowes ( Rialto beige). When looking at the hardi board website and lowes i can not find a product recommendations. A tile "expert" at lowes recommended white tile adhesive by TEC Invision and an "expert" at home depot recommended omni grip adhesive. From my research neither of these are the best product. Any thoughts?

I am new to tiling so please let me know if I have left out any necessary information. Thanks for the help
Old 02-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Toddman
Independent Tile Contractor

Laticrete 253 gold

Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.

http://www.toddthetileguy.com

Toddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Shannon.

Yes, stay far away from those poor recommendations to use mastic under the Hardibacker. You want thinset. And don't be fooled into the "premixed thinset"...which is still mastic, but with sand in it.

You can go with Todd's suggestion if they carry Laticrete. Or if you're at HD, you can purchase Custom's Versabond. Both are decent modified mortars that may also likely be a good choice for setting your tile as well. For those "Rialto Beige" tiles....can I assume they are a porcelain tile? And how big are they?

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution”
-Abraham Lincoln
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Kman

Hardi allows the use of a dry-set mortar applied with a 1/4" notched trowel between the subfloor and Hardi, but recommends a modified thinset between the tile and Hardi. http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...rterInch.shtml

Believe it or not, they also allow the use of mastic with a 5/32 V-notch trowel...but I wouldn't bother with it. It's too expensive.

To save a few bucks, you can use dry-set mortar under Hardi, but if you want to simplify things and deal with only one thinset, use a modified thinset like 253 Gold for both applications.

Rialto is a porcelain tile that has deep depressions on the back. It's important to skim-coat the back of each tile with the flat side of the trowel immediately before setting it. This will help attain maximum thinset coverage.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
coping skills
CSC

Custom blend without ad-mix under the board, versabond over. It'll save you $10 a bag to use dry set underneath.

Quality Crapsmanship.

In love with liquids.
coping skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Sblaine

Thank you guys for the responses. I will be running out to Lowes/HD today to purchase the 253 Gold.

The tile I"m installing is a 6"x6" on the floor and a 4"x4" on the shower wall. They are porcelain tile.

I assume I don't really want the answer to this questions, but I'm going to ask. I have been reading the posts on this forum and I know that I should have installed 3/4 plywood. Prior to installing the subfloor I used the Simpson Galvanized Hangers to install perpindiuclar 2x4s in between my current floor joists. I have a web trusse floor joists made of 2x4s. The height of the existings joists were about 14 inches tall and about 20 to 24 inches apart. (they seemed to vary a little). I tried to install a perpindular joist where the seams of my new subfloor would meet so that I would not have any sag between the two boards. The bathroom floor is only 5'x5'. I have already installed the OSB and to make it harder to remove I used liquid nails and screws to secure the subfloor to the joists. Should I just suck it up and pry up the OSB and replace with plywood, or do you think I'll be okay with the OSB?

Again, thanks for all the advice, this has been really helpful.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Shannon.

The OSB subfloor is fine so long as it was of the tongue & groove type or those 2x4s actually fall directly under the joints and the subflooring was properly fastened to them.

But with 24" joist spacing, or even 19.2" spacing, you really need another layer of plywood over that for a tile installation. Yeah, I know James Hardi says his board is just fine over even less than that, but I wouldn't do it on a bet.

My opinion; worth price charged.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Sblaine

If I install another level of plywood, what size? Would I be fine with 1/4 or 1/2 inch before the Hardi Board? Would I need to screw and glue the second level of plywood before the hardiboard?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Houston Remodeler

Shannon,

no 1/4" plywood in anything tile. 1/2" is fine. Yes you screw the plywood down to the first layer of ply, avoiding the joists, after reading this article

The cbu is thinset-ed then screwed into place using cbu screws

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
coping skills
CSC

Or roofing nails.

Quality Crapsmanship.

In love with liquids.
coping skills is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com