Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
taherrmann4

Transition from Cement board to drywall question

I have searched on the forum for the answer but have been unable to locate the answer. Here is my question, I am putting up 1/2" cement board backer and toward the top of the shower about a foot from the ceiling it is drywall, but the problem is the drywall is 5/8" thick and the cement board is 1/2" thick, so how do I transition this. I was planning on putting the tile two inches above the cement board onto the drywall. To add to the problem is that the wall was not plumb so I had to use a furring strip of about 1/8" thick on one of the studs this brings that side of the wall even with the drywall but what about the rest of the wall? Can I just use mortar to make up the difference or will it make the tile look odd when it is finished?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Grant Anderson

I'd definitely use shims to plumb all studs and create a level plane across all of the studs (so none stick out more or less than the others--just an 1/8th difference between the the CBU and drywall isn't enough to require furring to address it though--between the thinset on the CBU and if you skim coat the tiles as well, there's enough play to just apply a little less to the top 2 inches of the tiles.
Grant Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Houston Remodeler

Todd,

If you are using larger tiles, say 12x12's than the 1/8" should be no big deal and you can make that up as you install the tiles.

If your tiles are smaller, than you'll do the preferred method of shimming out the CBU to match the drywall and be plumb at the same time.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
taherrmann4

Question about installing a corner soap dish holder

I need some advice on how to go about installing a corner soap dish holder on a wall that is already tiled. I put up the tile on the wall yesterday and totally forgot about the soap dish holder that was supposed to go in the corner. So I need some options as to the best way to go about fixing this. Can I cut the tile while it is on the wall with an oscillating tool? Or should I just take out the two tiles and replace them, doing this option how hard will it be to get them even with the other tiles when I go to reinstall the tiles.

Thanks in advance.

Todd
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
JEC

I did the same thing a year ago. I just chipped out the tile , I had plenty of spares. Then cut and thinsetted it in.

www.chadwellandsons.com
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
madronatile
Tile Contractor -- Seattle, WA.

They should still be fresh enough to pry off without breaking. Scrape the thinset off the wall so that the replacement tiles don't ride high.

www.madronatile.com
madronatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
tilejoe

You can always grind them out, repair the waterproofing and set them in.

Infinite Ceramic & Stone LLC.
www.infiniteceramic.com
NTCA Pennsylvania State Rep
CTEF Certified Installer #769

"...come on, come on
This one's nothing like Vietnam
Except for the bullets, except for the bombs
Except for the youth that's gone..." -Michael Franti
tilejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Mountain Tile
Tile Contractor -- Northeastern PA.

Sometimes I install the tile first, then grind the back of the soapdish flat, then glue to the wall tile with epoxy, let dry, then caulk.
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If it's a surface mount (vs. thinset mount), you can carefully scratch out the grout directly under where you wanna mount it...then insert a few razor blades into the grout lines (2 on each wall) to support the weight of the corner dish while you use 100% silicone sealant to adhere it to the wall. You'll need to use a fair amount of duct tape stretched around the dish to keep it tight against the wall while the silicone is curing.

Nothing is impossible if someone else has to do it.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Todd, please keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com