Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Mike89

Tiling countertop with undermount Sink

First time posting here. Getting ready to do a project in my kitchen which is tearing off my 50 year old tile and tiling again with new tile. Can't afford a stone top, don't want Formica, so this is about my best bet. I am replacing the old single tub porcelain sink with a single stainless sink. (Wanted to post a link to one I'm looking at but I see linking is not allowed)

I do not want the sink to be a drop in rim mount, I want it flush under the tile like the existing one is.

Right now I'm reading like crazy for tips on tiling a countertop with an undermount sink. Going to tear off old top completely, replace with 3/4" plywood and 1/2" Hardiebacker board, then 12" tile (my countertop is simple, 2' x 10'9").

My main concern right now is how to trim out the tile around the sink. I want to do it as simple as I can and would rather not use quarter round tile around the sink if I don't have to. That's the way my existing one is right now and I'm not really fond of the look of it.

I'd love to hear pointers and advise from you guys cause I know it's going to help me in the long run. Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
RCS47
Craig S

There is no such thing as an "under mount" sink installation with a tile drainboard. Under mounts are attached to solid surfaces; granite, corian, or formica - not tile. Tile installations can accommodate a self-rimming top mount sink or a tile in sink trimmed in either radius trim (quarter round) or surface bullnose trim.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
mossypath

Craig that is just not true .
There are several ways it can be done .
one of the ways is to use a trim around the tile .
http://www.schluter.com/4677.aspx Look at pic. 5#

I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel
mossypath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Adam A.

The first step in installing a sink to the underside of a tile counter is mounting the sink to the counter before cutting and laying the tile.

Cinar Interiors
Adam A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Adam A.

I wish I could find the picture I took of a job we completed a couple years back. Instead of using a bullnose to trim the lip of the tile where the sink begins we used a 1 x 1 glass on a 12 x 12 mesh. The 1 x 1 allowed us to make the curve of the sink. Very neat and beautiful when completed.

Cinar Interiors
Adam A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com