Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
mrsbunini

How to make porcelain tile shine

We just had our floor installed with 20x20 Marazzi Sardinia Sand Colored Porcelain Tile. It's a discontinued product but we got it cheap. The sample feels smooth and I like the color. After installation, it looks dull and feel sandy when I walk on it. I wipe it several time with wet cloth but after drying it goes back to looking dull and sandy again. We're going to seal the grout in 2 days but I want some answers on the following:

1. Do we need to seal the tiles too?
2. Is there a way or product to use to make it shiny like a waxed floor?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
CanyonTile

With porcelian tile the finish you bought is the finish you have.
You can not seal porcelain and sure you could "try" to seal it with a high gloss sealer...but it will just flake off with in a few weeks if that, and look terrible on top of it.
Maybe someone knows of a product out here that can give you that waxed look, but I have never heard of one that actually worked, personally.

We Got You Covered

www.canyontileandstone.com
CanyonTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
teeitup
Licensed Tile Sealing Contractor

There may be a grout haze left on the tile. Try some straight vinegar in one small out of the way spot. When you put the vinegar on in about a 2 inch circle see if you see any foaming. If you do that will indicate the acid/alkaline reaction of the vinegar and grout on the surface of the tile. After the vinegar has been on for about 30 seconds give it a firm scrub with a nylon brush. Then wipe the spot up completely with a lint free cloth. When it dries look to see if that spot looks cleaner or has more shine. If it does, that indicates that the tile setter has left grout on the surface of the tile.

If grout has been left on the tile you can have the setter call me at 949 8585211 and I will give him some instructions if he needs them to remove the grout haze.

Good Luck
Mike

http://www.tilesealing.com
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Miracle Sealants Tech

Thumbs up mrsbunini

There are options out there for you. The gritty feel you are experiencing may be do to a slight grout haze. You can try a very mild acidic based cleaner like Miracle Sealants Phosphoric Acid Cleaner. Dilute it with water about 10-1 and test it in an area to see if the grit has been removed from the tile. If it has been removed proceed on with the rest of your install. Once the tile is clean and free of the grit Miracle also offers a product called Tile Brite. This is a polishing powder for tile that will produce a gloss on your tile without having to use a "top coat" wax type of product that may in fact peel off over time. The Tile Brite process will require the use of a buffing machine, but the cost of renting a buffing machine for this process will be less than all the stripping and reapplying that a wax coating would require.

"Serving the Tile, Stone and Masonry Industries for 25 Years"

www.miraclesealants.com
Miracle Sealants Tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com