Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
cajunpedaler

custom shower pan on concrete slab

hi folks. i'm in louisiana. building a new house. we're on a slab. my intention is to custom build the shower, et al. i'm stuck on how to start on the shower pan. i've been to the liberry, but the shower floor mock up's that i've seen don't directly address my questions.
i'm on a slab. do i need to build a pre-slope? (and by the term "pre slope", does that mean it's the base slope and then you membrane, then build another floor on top of that and slope that one also?
i will post photos..i'm not sure of materials yet. i have access to schluter or i can use oatey membrane or backer board or green rock..or a combination of them..

i am familiar with forums, but if i do not abide by this forum's manners and traditions, please say so and i will correct my transgression.

by the way, my name is perry and i'm the wife. lots of people think the name is masculine, so i must be a guy.
i'm well versed in carpentry, have been doing woodwork for 10 yrs or so. and this is the second house *i've* built for us.

thanks for any pointers.
perry
cajunpedaler
jackson la
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Welcome to the forum, Perry. I'm another chick who builds stuff. The most important form rule here, and the one that is most likely to be different from other places, is one project one thread. Put all your questions on this one thread. Whenever you'd like, ask a moderator to give your thread a more generic name like "Perry's shower".

The pros here can help you build whatever your heart desires (though it may be more work than you bargained for). The first thing you need to decide is how you want to waterproof your new shower. Everything will be based on the answer you give to that question. There are many options, but the basic choices are 1) Traditional with clamping drain, PVC in the pan, moisture barrier behind backer board walls, or 2). Surface applied membrane, either fabric or liquid. The Schluter stuff is in this category.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
cajunpedaler

i'm thinking i want to use the schluter materials.. they seem less bulky than the rubber feel products.
thanks for the welcome, wendy.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
bbcamp

Perry, with either the PVC liner shower or a Kerdi shower, you need a sloped mud bed to direct the water to the drain. Yours would be built like the one in the Shower Construction thread in the Liberry, except that you won't need to use tarpaper and lath on the slab. Instead, you bond the deck mud to the concrete using a runny mix of thinset.

If you decide to use Kerdi, download the Kerdi handbook from Schluter's website, and get John's E-book. Between the two, most of your questions will be addressed, and we'll be here if you find one that isn't.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
cajunpedaler

perry's shower

i'm ready to start my preslope. i've hung hardi backer board. sealed all the joints. installed a curb form. i've installed the shower drain with the flange a big higher than the slab.
i got a ready mixed product..an installer calls it "mud in a bag"
here's photos.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Mountain Tile
Tile Contractor -- Northeastern PA.

Ok, it looks like a clamping ring drain there, if your planning on using a pvc liner you will have to remove the bottom sheets of HardiBacker, The liner needs to go behind the backerboard. Or since you already have it installed, you can get the Kerdi drain adapter and install a kerdi shower.
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
cajunpedaler

yes it is a clamping ring.i am going to use the spreadable membrane. installer told me to paint on the membrane, silicone the retainer ring, and install as if it is a rubber sheet membrane.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Mountain Tile

Oh, ok, that will work, you didnt say before you were going to use a lquid membrane. Or did I miss that? You might want to check out the Frankengeueze shower tutorial thread in the pro's hangout, some good info on the liquids and how they handle the drain.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Mountain Tile

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=72403
Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
cajunpedaler

no i didn't mention it..thanks for prompting me.
how thick or dry or wet do i mix the "mud in a bag" for the preslope?
perry
Old 03-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Mountain Tile

Not too wet, just wet enough that when you grab a clump and squeeze it and let go, it doesn't crumble, be sure to pack it with your trowel.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
cajunpedaler

man, i'm all fired up!! can't wait till tomorrow to get started...kind of nervous butterflies, but thanks for the feedback..i'll post back my progress.
thanks.
perry
Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
barradas23
Tile Magician

dont worry i was the same way the day before i did kerdi and then when i was actually doing it it didnt feel that hard.

just take your time; make sure your perimeter is level and then use a short straight edge or a short level to make your slope towards the drain.

you don know of the 3 day wait time before any liquid membrane can be applied right????
innovating tile installation in austin tx....me vs fiberglass pans war
barradas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #14
bbcamp

Perry, can you contain your enthusiasm long enough to do a small mockup? A lot of first timers make some pretty simple mistakes because they've never worked with these materials, so I recommend spending a little bit of the budjet for some mud and scrap materials just to get the feel for the job. It quiets the butterflies when you have one job under your belt. There's a shower mock-up thread in the Liberry that has one by Wendy in it. Your mockup doesn't have to be full scale, or even pretty, but it does need to be big enough to give an appreciation of what's involved.

In your case, I'd box a sheet of backerboard with some 2x4s (2x6s would be better) and use a disc made of plywood for the drain fitting. The backerboard represents the slab, so you would bond your deck mud to it with thinset like you would for the real thing.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
cajunpedaler

ok...did the quick slope (the kit with the black plastic screed pieces) and it wasn't bad. I waited quite a few days before i applied the liquid membrane. then a few days to apply the second coat.

i have 3 concerns.

my first question is this..do i silicone between the screw-in drain flange and the ring on the quick pitch or will that defeat anything i've done?
i did use a drain plug and filled it with water and nothing leaked out the sides, but it all drained down by the center drain...(which is what it's supposed to do, correct or no?)

also when i get to the tiling phase, do i tile the bottom or sides first?

and lastly, using the quick pitch, brought the level up high in relation to the curb, is it possible to add a 2x4 to the top at this point, cover it with cement board and paint with membrane?

thanks.
i've always enjoyed the fruits of forums and this one is no exception..

perry

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com