Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

VanHearron Grout Once

Have any of you heard of this product? One of our local tile distributors is bringing in the line and is pushing the product "Grout Once" You can use it with any cement based grout replacing the water with this product. It claims that it makes the grout waterproof and stainproof. They did a vignette in the showroom and doused it with ketchup and balsamic vinegar. Cleaned up real nice. No stains.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
custombuilt
Tile and remodeling contractor

Sound like the same thing as grout boost which has been around a couple years now. I buy it at lowes and it essentially does the same thing..makes the grout stain resistant.

But that waterproof stuff, well that sounds like bull.

Superior Construction
Custom Interior and Exterior remodeling experts
Quincy, IL
custombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
ob1kanobee

Doesn't say anything about being waterproof.

http://www.vanhearron.com/vanhearron...r_2009_004.htm

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
Mr.Miyagi
Re-Remodeler & Re-Tiler

I've used it with mixed results. I got good results using it with Hydroment (even color) and some real crappy results with Mapei (very splotchy color). It does initially repel water as advertised, but the grout will eventually start absorbing the water if left on for a period of time.
The biggest con with Grout Once is that after a week long curing period, both grouts (Mapei & Hydroment, sanded & unsanded) had nowhere near the strength/hardness as they usually do when mixed with plain water. The pro being, the grout cleaned up off the tile very nice.
I probably wouldn't use it again as I really don't have much confidence in the products longevity coupled with the fact that there are much better options at specific price points.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Did my test yesterday and saw the results today. They said it could be used with Permacolor. Permacolor dries perfect. With this additive, it dried blochy. The water absorbtion was incredible. Cant see how this stuff could stop staining. In the words of the Mythbusters...."BUSTED" Stay away from this stuff!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
arkansastileguy

Thumbs up Use It Love It

Grout Once is like any other product out there, you have got to get to know it. It took me a couple jobs to get the hang of proper use and now that I understand the mix value as well as it is an additive and not wonder juice I swear by it. I get consistent color, uniform strength, and clean up is a breeze. I have only had one issue that has required factory assistance and unlike TEC or MIRACLE, This company was jumping through hoops to solve the problem, which they did with an efflorescense cleaner ( and that is not even their bird) I would and do recommend GROUT ONCE TO ALL MY CUSTOMERS. Learn Your Products Guys.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
HS345
Tile Contractor

Why don't you teach us Tile Guy. And while you're at it, tell us a little bit about yourself, since we know absolutely nothing.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK tile guy
I have only had one issue that has required factory assistance and unlike TEC or MIRACLE,
Don't know about you but I have had good customer service with both Tec and Miracle. Nothing like Laticretes customer service of course, but I will say that everytime I have contacted my rep for Tec, or Miracle they always call me right back and get my the answers I want. I have never had any problems with either of them though. I did have an issue with Mapei grout once, and my rep handled that fairly quickly and to my satisfaction.

AK. Tile Guy, why don't you start a thread and introduce yourself. Tell us how long you have been in the business, maybe show show some pictures, and let us know if you are a tile contractor or have any affiliations to some companies.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Cain
Cain

when you read the mixing instructions on your grout bag, what does it say?
I have never seen one that recommended van whatever, or grout boost, or tile doctor.
if any were such a good product that it makes the grout better, don't you think one of the big boys would buy it and put their name on it?

I will follow the instructions on the packaging of the grout I use (laticrete) and live without somebody's genius idea of the new and improved wheel (or latex in this case).
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Mt. Top Tile
Tile Contractor

Well said. If someone wants to spend a little more use laticrete's permacolor. If they want to spend more, Bostik true color or laticretes spectralock. I've used the grout boost and wasn't impressed enough to use it again.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
gueuzeman

Arkansas company, new member is from Arkansas. Connect the dots.

Best Tile here (probably same as TileguyCT) has it as their new in house product. Supposed to be using their stain gaurd 5000 product tomorrow but I need to wash the tile first as the grout ( TEC Accucolor XT) is blotchy.

Sealer has siloxane in it, which is good stuff. Not sure about the grout once.

gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansastileguy
you have got to get to know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIs Search
Registrant:
Domain name: VANHEARRON.COM

Administrative Contact:
Heavener, Andy
xxx xxxwood Drive
Greenwood, AR 72936
US
you must really know it, amazing that your in Arkansas too

I'll stick with Laticrete 1776 or even use Grout Booost. never had problems with either
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Jim, we're Tile America here. I did some more testing with the Grout Once product. I did one with Tec Grout and one with Mapei Grout. The Tec was blotchy as hell, and the Mapei had Efflorescence like I never have seen. Go back to straight water and both grouts performed like they should. I even did a test with the Permacolor from the same batch I had the orriginal problem with, without the additive. Looked great. If there was a wonder product that could help grout, I,m sure the major companies (Tec, Laticrete, Mapei) would produce it. They do have their own ad-mixes and from now on I'll just stick to them. One thing I noticed with the Grout Once product was that after the cure of the grout, I have never seen grout absorb so much water. Cant see how it could possibly help with grout staining.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

I think I figured out what killed all those birds in Arkansas.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
arkansastileguy

Talking Grout Once

Sorry it has taken a bit to get back here, I have a very busy schedule.
As for a little about myself, I am a 22 year installer working out of the Little Rock Ar area. I have used several of the ad mixes that have been developed over the years and have been unimpressed with each. The Grout Once does what it says it will do, it decreases water asorbtion, not water proof, it deters stains, not stain proof, and it resists mold growth , again not mold proof.
I believe this company is based somewhere in arkansas, according to the dealer I purchase through, but that makes no difference, if it was made in china and did as it claimed I would use it.
As far as learning your products, I had issues with color when first using it, then I went back to basics (mix - slag - mix - install) alot of us as setters get away from this in our need for speed, but once I got back to it I have had no further problems, You also have to remember 72 hours cure, no matter the product no matter the claim you are still dealing with GROUT not the add mix, and the cure time is still the cure time, no where did I read it reduces cure time. My belief is there are just those that believe in one product get stuck on that product and will never sway their opinion of new products and that is to each person their right, I personally will never use Grout Boost again and if i have a customer who insists on it I will and have walk away from the job, Grout Boost is hard to work with, clean up and poses to much liability for my liking, those of you that use it and swear by it have obviously learned that product , I have not and will not. I personnally like grout once, and the new miracle add mix, water based, easy to work with, and easy clean up.
You also and always have to factor in installer screw up. We all make mistakes people, even after 22 years of this I make mistakes, it is called comfort in industry, we have done it for so long we become over confident, and it is bound to happen.
If their are further inquiries about myself please feel free to ask, and when I slow down and have time to get back online I will respond.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com