Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Kilauea
LT

Buffing out scratches in travertine floor

Ive been asked to take remove a series of deep scratches in a 3/4'' thick 202x20 travertine floor.

I actually used my wet polisher (alpha vsp 120) 100-3000 to try and polish them out,but didnt go as expected.One problem might be the sealer.I didnt strip it,and and the spots I buffed obviously need to be resealed.I have no idea what the original sealer was and were not able to find out at this point.Some of the spots I buffed out the scratches are still visible somewhat,but I spent waaaay too much time on this.Im thinkin after I seasl it it might not be as noticeable,but I dont wanna use a sealer that really makes it stand out.were trying to acheive the continual look.

Any easy fixes?

Also the floor has a lot of noticable streaks and stuff.Homeowner wants a quote to buff the whole floor,but Im so outta my comfort zone on this.Need advice on this one fellas.Thanks in advance.

2nd generation tile installer

Quote:
The apprentice rocket scientist was having a hard time programming the launching sequence.His professor watched impaitently and said,"C'mon its not tilesetting!!!"
Kilauea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Blending in a spot is tough sometimes,you didn't say if it was polished,but since you went that high on the grit i assume it is.
When taking out scratches you must run the first grit long enough to get the scratch invisible.A squeegee helps to pull off the slurry to see what you've got.The other scratches from the pads are taken out with the other grits as you go.
Sometimes it's easier to just replace the tile.
Did you use a polishing powder for the final polish?This is probably what is making the tiles look different and not a sealer.

If i were you i wouldn't take on repolishing that floor till you get a handle on those tiles to see what works.Remember test, test, test.Try some Craftmans Polish with a white pad,that seems to work for me.You could also use some Mira Dust.Sometimes you need to try a few different products.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com