Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Scotvl

Kerdi over DensShield

Hi Im doing a bathroom with a tile surround around a corner jacuzzi and a 4x4 shower attached on one side. I've already done the tub surround with denshield and was going to use it in the shower also(with a mud pan and liner. Well after finding this forum I'm about to switch to a Kerdi drain and kerdi floor and walls.
My question is can I use kerdi over densshiel or should I return it and use green board and if I do use green board all the exterior surfaces of the shower already have densshield, so when I wrap the kerdi outside the shower I'll have to thinset to 3" of densshield. I hope that sounds like a good explanation I'm postin from my phone so I'll add pictures later tonight, thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
bbcamp

Scott, you can apply Kerdi over Densshield, since the Densshield has a thinset friendly surface and is suitable for tile. If you haven't installed it yet, don't. Take it back and get regular drywall. That's the recommended substrate for Kerdi.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Scotvl

thanks for the quick reply. So just regular drywall and not the moisture resistant green drywall, ok thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
lou432
Tile Man -- Southern New Hampsire

Welcome Scott!! What BB said!!! I`ve put kerdi over denshield 5-6 times witgh no issues! I use to build all mt showers & tub surrounds outa denshied till I found Kerdi , so I`m a past lover of it & still use it in some situations! Regular sheetrock is all you need though! Good luck & keep us posted with pic when you can & always reply to this post cuz it`s youR project post!

White sand+ blue water .
Find the grace in things that you can`t change, and help some body if you can!
"Van Zant"
I`d rather be on my Harley thinking about God than in Church thinking about my Harley .

My Tile Work Pictures
lou432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
Scotvl

thanks for the reply Lou, you do some nice work. When you've put kerdi over the densshield did you run the denshield all the way to the floor before the mud bed or did you do the mud bed first and stop the densshield above it? also what size grout joints do you think I should use with a 13x13 porcelain.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
bbcamp

Scott, it's easier to run the wallboard to the floor and apply the Kerdi, then place the mud and Kerdi the floor.

The minimum size joint depends on a couple of issues: the maximum variation in tile size, warpage of the tiles and flatness of the walls. Use 3 times the maximum variation as a start, then add 1/16" or so for warped tiles, and again for non-flat surfaces. Keep in mind that DIYers find slightly wider than minimum lines easier since there's more grout to hide your mistakes. Grout is your friend.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com