Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
eyeglass

correct method for shower wall ASAP.

My tile guy gave me 2 methods of installing ceramic tile shower wall. (Shower pan will be hot mop). Will either one of these methods cause problems. My concerns are mole development etc from condensation. ]

[b]Please advice accordingly asap as job is awaiting.
I am in Sacramento, California. Would this comply with CBC code (not a code violation)?

My tile guy, Ed, says this:
A. 6 mil poly
B. green board aka moisture resistant wall board. (I do not have the manufacturer name) with the seams covered with mesh tape.
C. wire stapled to the wallboard
D. mortar applied over the wire to create a plumb surface for the 4" tile to be applied over.
This would be done in one day.
Red Guard could be purchased and installed in between step B & C if you specified that. It would need to set/dry overnight.

OR ...

AA. 6 mil poly
BB. cement board
CC. a bonderizer primer applied over the cement board. This would have to set/dry overnight.
DD. wire nailed onto board with roofing nails
EE. mortar applied over the wire to create a plumb surface for the 4" tile to be applied over.
Georgesunray

Private message
Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Personally, I'd Kerdi it and be done with it....however, option #1 would be NOT to add redguard if there is a poly backing. Only ONE barrier. With two, you get a mold sandwich.

Of the two options...I'd have to go with the second.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

without the RedGard i would worry about the staples and wired rusting out over time.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Bill,

Your man Ed has me confused.

In plan A he mentions greenboard, which, should never be used in a shower and isn't listed by the TCNA as suitable for showers. "A" also has the dreaded moisture sandwich.

Plan B is fine, but why hang cement board then put a layer of cement over that? Seems to me you already have what you are looking for in the first layer of CBU.

A is out, B is acceptable. Odd to me, but acceptable.

Is this a stand alone shower or a tub shower combo?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Damn, Paul.....it's only Tuesday and I'm confused allready!

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Not a fan of hot mop, but on the west coast, it's fairly common. Doesn't last as long as a good traditional mudbed or a Kerdi shower, but okay.

The bottom edge of greenboard would be sitting in the pan, and getting wet, regardless of what you do with the surface, so it's a no-go.

If the studs are in-plane, then you can just put up a vapor barrier, the cbu, and tile directly to it. The mudded wall is a good way to fix out of plumb or square walls, but if not done well, much worse than just cbu, which is already flat. It will bend if the wall studs aren't in line, since it is screwed to it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Hi George,

As you can see we don't like either method 100% but the 2nd is best. I also answered this question at the other place you posted last night.

Not sure if you have another choice on membranes. We just don't think that much of tar, well most of us don't.

As I said before, I'd go with the Kerdi method. Sounds like you allready signed on the dotted line and the project will start soon. Do you have time to re-think this?

Jaz

Custom TileSetter (retired) - Method & Product suitability consulting

DIRECT Containers MARBLE from ITALY - GREECE; PERLATO di SICILIA - PERLATINO - BOTTICINO - THASSOS - SIVEC - VOLAKAS - ARETI WHITE - CALACATTA - others - Slabs - Tiles - Custom marmo.sicilia@yahoo.com
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

He can do either one but if he does the first one, just put the greenboard up first, then the poly, lath, mud and tile. Leave the Redgard off. I would cut the greenboard at the top of the pan and over lap the hot mop with the poly.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Probably lots of ways folks do this, but you can stop the greenboard up high (like a foot off the floor), run your poly and lathe down into the pan, and you still have the blocking of the hot mop to hold your mud out. Then the mud floor locks the bottom of the wall into place.

Not sure if thats exactly what you are sayin Davy, but thats how I've done it.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

I doubt the wall board people would approve of poly over their board. Moisture sandwich.

That is (vapor barriers) a very confusing and misunderstood subject. (Not that I'm any more knowledgable that anyone else here). It's requirements are vague and differ depending on location. Seems to make a big diff whether it's in cold weather or hot and humid climes.

Of course I think a surface membrane is the way to go.

Jaz

Custom TileSetter (retired) - Method & Product suitability consulting

DIRECT Containers MARBLE from ITALY - GREECE; PERLATO di SICILIA - PERLATINO - BOTTICINO - THASSOS - SIVEC - VOLAKAS - ARETI WHITE - CALACATTA - others - Slabs - Tiles - Custom marmo.sicilia@yahoo.com
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Yeah, I hear ya Jaz on the surface membranes.

I build Kerdi showers almost exclusively, but here in California mud (1 or 2 coat) over a hot mop pan is just the way it normally is. Its what most tile guys are used to. Its what most inspectors want to see unless you convince em otherwise. Its what builders call for 99% of the time.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
eyeglass

a bonderizer primer applied over the cement board. This would have to set/dry overni

Thxs for all the replies:
One big question: Cement board they planning to use is a Hardieback 1/2". with
"a bonderizer primer applied over the cement board. This would have to set/dry overnight"

Would this set up a vapor barrier with the 6mi poly on the stud?

What other cement bd can they use that will not have the fast absoption rate of a Hardie back?

I was thinking of the same to go with second method(double letter or method B) without the bonerizer.("Bondrizer primer" can you define it)
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
Edthedawg
Wannabe Engineer Old-house-nik DIY'er :)

Bill,

You got two really odd build options there, and a lot of really sound advice to go with neither of them. The 2nd one if you have no other options.

But you DO have other options.

Whyn't just put up the 1/2" CBU (Durock, Wonderboard) or Hardie, screwed to the studs w/ no poly sheeting, tape/mud the seams, and then apply a liquid waterproofing membrane (like RedGard or HydroBan) over that? Then thinset / tile / grout.

Seems you're going WAY out of your way to complicate something that's, well, fairly simple if done right.

GO SOX!

Pleased to have helped design and build many of the residential projects featured here: http://www.tandtdev.com/portfolio.html
Edthedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
eyeglass

correct method for shower wall ASAP

Ed, Jax, Davy: (Shower) If I use method A in the order you described(Davy):
greenboard, the Poly, lath mud.
Would this set up a vapor trap between the greenboard and vapor 6ml?

If I ask them to use method B without the bonderizer over cement board, would that work better, assumpting the mud will set dry with the Hardie back absorption rate? or should I subtitute with Wonderbord?
I like to get back with the Contractor by today?
Thx: George/Bill
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Bill,
You installer is confused about why he's doing things which suggests to me that he's either inexperienced or he's just not curious enough to teach himself. I suspect that this is not a licensed contractor, but instead a guy who will do your project "on the side" to his regular gig. Is that correct?
When I was working in Northern California, I installed over a lot of hot mop pans. I've seen plenty of well-built hot mop pans and I've seen others which I refused to work on top of. If you are going to use a hot mop pan, make certain that it's a company with a lot of experience and a long list of recurring clients to call for references.
I recognize what "Ed" is proposing to do, but his comprehension is lacking and I'd look elsewhere for an installer. There are many different ways to put a reliable shower together. He's proposing none of them.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase