Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
shelley belly

sealers

hey, how's it goin' everyone. I am new to this whole post thing. Does anyone want to offer me an answer as to whether or not Aquamix sealer's choice gold can be used as the final seal ,on tumbled trav. backsplash, which has "enrich n seal" enhancer on already? Just wondering if using enrich n seal will darken the tile even more if used as the final seal after grouting. Are the two products compatible? Would really appreciate the experts advice.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Shelley, welcome.

There are penetrating sealers and there are enhancing sealers. You've already used Enrich 'n Seal (enhancing sealer)...that's your sealer and stick with that. If the grouting process was so rough on the sealer that you can see that a bit of the enhancing is worn away, then another coat will likely darken it back to what it was like before grouting. I think the difference, if any, will be marginal. I'd proceed with a test of another coat of your Enrich 'n Seal in a small area to see what your final results will be.

By the way, I'm going to move this over to the Cleaning, Sealing, and Restoration forum for possible further comments from the restoration pros.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I would agree.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Stone Dude

Enrich N Seal is a good sealer, I dont think you would bnefit from applying Sealers Choice Gold

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
shelley belly

sealer

thank you for the answers, iam now just a bit concerned about whether or not the grout color will darken or splotch as a result of the final coat of EnS?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Stone Dude

I dont like enhacing grout because its a toss up. It could be blotchy, it could be even. One way to check is to wet the grout with water with a sponge and check for uniformity. If it is blotchy with water, it will be blotchy with enhancer. If not, then you should be fine.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
shelley belly

sealer

hi, thanks for the expertise...what can't we just seal the final job with a non-enhancing sealer, then? it won't penetrate? woudn't it avoid problems with grout color?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

The enhancer from Aqua Mix sealed the stone already and applying a different sealer may complicate things especially when you use 2 different types since they have different densities. If you are happy with the grout color and don't want to enhance it, you could use another sealer but take your time in making sure you only seal the grout if it hasn't been sealed already. There are products like the one below that can accomplish this.

http://www.aquamixdirect.com/servlet...ler-and/Detail

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
SABoyt
Tile, stone and grout cleaning and restoration

Contact aquamix tech support. many of their products are compatible with one another. I am unsure of your combination however. But they will be happy to immediately answer that question at AM. 877-278-2311
TMTrecovery.com
New and used Truck mounts
Cleaning and Sealing Trainer

ColorClad™ Premium ColorSeal Distributor
SABoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
shelley belly

sealer

hey how's it goin' today. thanks for the advice on grout. the grout was just applied today and i like the tile better now that is has been filled (tumbled noce trav 2x2 mosaic) $8.99 sq.ft. It looks gold and brown from the enhancer, and the grout ( haystack color--excellent blend in) which is drying kind of white so, although all looks nice i will probably enrich n seal again to get the grout darker and blend with the tile...i don't know how to add pictures with my web cam lol
Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Shelley, Welcome!

In addition to what's been said.

1. Be sure to wait a minimum of 72 hours before you seal the grout with any solvent based product.

2. Since your grout dried to a lighter color, it sounds like adding the Color Enhancer is the only way to get additional darkening out of the grout. As mentioned, your grout may or may not turn blotchy with the CE. TEST a small area first, and allow to dry overnight before doing the entire backsplash.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase