Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Dayo A.

I want a roman tub too!

Hi, I'm new here, and have absolutely no experience setting tile. I do however have a lot of ambition. We recently purchased our first home, and would like to remodel our leaky green tub and peach tile upstairs bathroom.

The floor is poured concrete with white terrazzo tile, but the galvanized pipes run across the entire floor (encased in concrete), and when last they were replaced someone poured concrete over them level with the top of the tiles, then applied linoleum. The pipes were filled with sediment, so I busted out the concrete patch, and plan to remove the remaining tiles, level the concrete, and lay 12" slate tile. That's not the ambitious part...

I want to put in a mortar shower pan and membrane where the tub was, and build a roman tiled tub to the right of the shower. Here' are the instructions I planned to use on the shower pan:

Edit: not allowed to post links, so if you add the beginning part (H tee tee pee colon forward slash forward slash dubbleyou dubbleyou dubbleyou dot) to them...

5min.com/Video/How-to-Install-Mortar-Shower-Pan-Membrane-Liner-240920192

My main question is: Does that look like a solid plan to lay the mortar pan, and can I follow the same steps to line the tub? What about the corners of the membrane liner/ will I have too much folded material?

Here's a rough draft of my plan:
i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee330/Dayosgarage/Bathroomplans.jpg

Last edited by Dayo A.; 10-15-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Dayo A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Dayo.........

and welcome to Tile Your World Forums.

I don't know that I could build a race car using a drawing and a video but..... if anyone can complete a bath with shower and roman tub using such tools.... pros here-a-bouts' can. :---)

You will be able to place links in your thread after you add three or more posts..... and we prefer all pics and plans be sent directly to this thread so's we don't ever loose em'.

I've posted your mortar bed video link and bath plan below and..... I hope that helps for now.

Welcome again.

Dayo's video: (Link removed by DCT). NOTE That the second post below indicates instructions in this link contain "critical errors".

Dayo's plan:
Attached Images

Last edited by Dave Taylor; 10-15-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

I know nothing about Roman tubs, but I suggest you move your shower valve to the opposite wall (by the door). Lower than 3' is really low for a valve. Also, you would have to reach through the water to turn it on and off. That's bad if it starts out cold and worse if it is accidentally scalding hot.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Dayo.

You'll be able to post links after you have a few more posts (anti-spam device in place). I could light up the link you tried to post but have elected not to do so because it contains a couple critical errors we don't want our visitors to duplicate. There is a Shower Construction thread in our whirl-famous Liberry with instructions on creating a shower pan. Further questions can be dealt with here.

We would prefer you post your photos here directly rather than linking to a third-party storage site. Keeps the photos from disappearing later and rendering your thread useless to future visitors. You can post your photos using the Manage Attachment feature below the Reply dialog box or the little paper-clip thingee directly above the dialog box.

Before you set your sights firmly on building a "Roman Tub," I suggest you type "roman tub" into the Advanced search feature and ask for Titles. You find a couple dozen threads on the subject. We've had a lot of visitors who thought they wanted to construct such a tiled tub, but I don't recall a single on ever actually doing so. It's not as simple as it might first appear.

It can certainly be done, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Dayo A.

Thanks for the advise guys!

Dave, that's why I joined this forum. It looks like if anyone can help me get this done, you folks are the ones to do it.

WendyHMN, I'm not dead set on the showerhead placement. The more I think about it, I might move the showerhead to the other side, move the glass splash wall to the other side, and leave it open between the bath and shower so I only need to buy one piece of glass.

cx, Thanks! I'll check out the instructions in the "Liberry" and learn the right way to build a mud shower pan. Having a working shower is my main priority right now, so when I finish the tearout, and pour concrete over my new pipes, the shower is job #1.

I'll try to attach that drawing when I get home. I'll also upload a new one with the updated shower layout.

I read through a couple of those "Roman tub" threads, and people mentioned kerdi systems and such, but nobody actually ends up doing it, I would like to change that if I can.

If anyone has anything to add, or can link to a project thread where someone successfully built a tiled tub, please post it up. I'm here to learn.
Thanks Dayo
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
Dayo A.

Uploaded the picture to the server.

EDIT: I read at the "liberry" until I fell asleep sitting up. (first time for that)
I learned about everything from how to mix the cement, to proper placement of underlayment seams, and deflecto calculations, etc etc etc...

I've also added the updated floorplan. This one is actually to scale, which helped me see how cramped it would actually be and work on relieving that. I decided to widen the shower, so my pan should be fun. and I widened the plumbing wall and added a cubby.

I saw PVC liners at Home Depot today, but they were only around 35". Is there somewhere in particular that I should look for something larger?
Attached Images

Last edited by Dayo A.; 10-16-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Dayo A.

What are my drain options?

I have the room gutted, and I'm ready to start building. I was planning to go with a liquid membrane, and a Kerdi drain, but I just called my local Kerdi dealer and they want $111 just for a drain! Is that normal? HD has an Oatey drain for less than $20 that's designed to clamp to a PVC liner. We aren't rich, and in the grand scheme of things I really don't want to spend $333 on drains for the shower and tub.

Can I use an Oatey drain with a liquid membrane, by employing the divot method? (not sure how to do that)

Should I just use a PVC liner?

If so, can I glue sections of PVC liner together to line my tub, or is that asking for trouble?

Last edited by Dayo A.; 10-26-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Just wait til you start pricing faucets and shower trims. The drains will seem cheap. Your listed price is a tad lower than the base price where I got my drain (I paid extra for the purty bronze).

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

If you use an ebbe you can still do a liquid membrane like hydroban or aquadefense.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Dayo A.

Wendy_ The price I was quoted was for the slightly less "purdy" stainless. I should get chrome (to match all the other not cheap fixtures we bought), but he quoted me for the one he had in stock.

Levi_ Do they make an Ebbe with that wide flange like the Kerdi, because I like the design of that. The Ebbe ones I saw on their site look a lot like the Oatey with the clamp ring designed for a PVC liner. It says it can be used with liquid membranes too, but is it as neat and easy? I've heard refrence to this "divot method", but I don't know it. Is that how one would use an Ebbe with a liquid membrane? Does the finished product have a low spot where the drain is or is the divot leveled off when you place the riser and set the tile?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
Levi the Tile Guy

dayo the divot is leveled off, and yes that is the method you would need to use doing an all liquid membrane. If you go to the pro's hangout in here look for a thread called "The Frankengueuze shower tutorial" You can find all the info you need in that thread. Be ware it is very long, but skim through and read where the divot method is talked about, and also the how to's of liquid waterproofing using hydroban or aquadefence. (Neither of them need fabric) They will be later on in the thread.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #12
Levi the Tile Guy

Here is the link I was talkin about.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=72403

Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Dayo A.

Thanks Levi, That's the one I read that made me want the Kerdi drain. I admit I only skimmed through it, but I'll read it in more detail before I lay the wooden framework down.

I'm going to run nwe drains and supply lines today if I can allocate some time.
I'll try to post pictures if you guys want to see what I'm up to. Maybe you'll catch something I'm about to screw up.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
Levi the Tile Guy

I know it is a HUGE thread. somewhere in there though there are explanations of the divot method, and even pics of some of the different divots and jigs used to make divots some of the pros on here posted.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Houston Remodeler

Dayo,

When you take pics, take some closer up and some further away so we can peek over your shoulder.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com