Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
MommyZero

Laundry Room (2nd floor) ~ Washing Machine Pan and Drain?

Let me say hello ~ I'm a TOTAL NOOB (so please be patient). I have ZERO experience with laying tile. I'm interested in learning and a simple starter project seemed to be putting a tile floor in my small second floor laundry room.

The only issue I can see is the drain in the floor under the washing machine. I have a drip pan under the washer which bas a hole cut in the middle and it is set over a drain pipe that protrudes from the floor maybe an inch and a half or 2 inches (I can't get a good look at it because I can't move the washer right now). It looks like there is some kind of screw on washer over the top of the threaded drain pipe (maybe holding the drip pan in place??).

Anyway. . . my question is this: Can I just remove the drip pan and tile right up to the drain pipe, and then replace the drip pan on top of the new tile floor? Obviously the hard board and tile will raise the level of the floor relative to the drain, is that a problem?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Hello MZ,

That is interestn the way you have a drain under there! Yes I think the easiest way to go would just be to tile up to the hole and then put the pan on top. I can't think of an easier way

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile
CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA

jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
MommyZero

Thanks Jondon, Just to clarify, the drain in the floor is just for emergency overflow, it doesn't seem like it would be real effective since the drip pan is not watertight around the drain. Idoknow, maybe the guys who installed the washer didn't do it properly?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, MZ.

What kind of subfloor are we dealing with here?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
MommyZero

Thanks cx. I haven't seen the subfloor because there's some vinyl floor down now, but assuming it is the same as another room on the same floor then it is plywood. It's newish construction 9 years old. I had planned to install the hard board right on top of the vinyl.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
bbcamp

Quote:
I had planned to install the hard board right on top of the vinyl.
Maybe not such a good plan. If the vinyl is cushioned (most now days is), the backerboard manufacturer will not honor their warranty. This is because the cushion will permit movement under the tile. Another problem is that vinyl flooring is often installed over an thin plywood underlayment. These underlayments are usually luan, which is an inferior plywood material that is unsuitable for a tile installation. Pull up the vinyl and see what's under there and let us know what you found.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ
it doesn't seem like it would be real effective since the drip pan is not watertight around the drain
That pan's actually gonna do you more harm than good if you do have a leak, 'specially if it's just a small one.

I'd recommend you dispose of the pan, install a Kerdi drain flat on the floor on top of your tiling substrate, install a waterproof membrane attached to the drain, and tile it.

If you can add a little slope around the drain, that might be a plus, but not a really big one.

Might actually be a lot easier to do all that if you use Ditra for your tiling substrate up to about a foot from the drain and then Kerdi/KerdiBand to attach that to the drain.

Or you can just ignore all that and install your emergency drain pan properly this time.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
qwe32

Those drain pans seem like a pain, until you need one -- had a coworker whose 2nd story washer had a water valve stick open and flood the upstairs. Ruined the upstairs floor and the downstairs ceiling in one shot! (House was built just a few years before these drain pans became common, or required by code)

The drain pipe (typically 1" PVC) should have a threaded fitting at the pan end, with a ring nut and rubber washer to give you a water-tight seal to the pan.

I'm not sure if you can easily upgrade this pan-drain to a whole floor-drain, there are probably building codes that would apply to the floor drain (sewer connection, trap, drain size, etc). The existing pan drain most likely just runs out an exterior wall.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Houston Remodeler

just to be double triple sure..... those types of drains are meant to have a little water added to them each time a nearby sink or such is used. That way the trap doesn't dry out allowing sewer gases to come into the living are. Can you locate that brass device somewhere under a nearby vanity or toilet?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...

Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com