Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
HaroldU
Retired Handy Father

Grout crack in the shower floor

My daughter has a fully tiled shower that the floor grout seams have separated from the tile on one side extending from the side wall to the drain. The grout is a colored, sanded grout of about 1/4". There is no loose grout. They have ask me to help repair it, but I am not sure of the best approach. I have attached some pictures. I hope that they can help.

MY QUESTION: Is there something that can be used to seal this crack without having to remove the old grout and redo it all.

Thanks, Harold
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Harold~ By the picture, it appears that there was a repair done previously. The fact that it seems to have failed does not bode well. If you tap on the area with the handle of a screwdriver, does it sound hollow and is it a different sound than the surrounding areas? If it does, then the tile has "broken bond" and there may quite well be deeper issues than simply cracking grout. The underlying mud bed may be cracked and failed, there may be no "pre-slope" and moisture may be rampant under the tile.

IF the tile is well-bonded, you MAY be able to remove the grout from the offending areas and re-grout it. This is a "best case" scenerio and you'll be quite lucky if that's all it is. Quite possible that a tear-out and replacement may be in your future.

As to your question..........no, there isn't.

Avanti Tile & Stone
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Cats As They Are Subtle And Will Piss On Your Computer..."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler

I'd start with a flood test. If it leaks you'll know for sure and better to find out when its convenient rather then some holiday weekend when the ceiling collapses on your guests food....

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
HaroldU
Retired Handy Father

The sound doesn't seem to be any different at any place in the shower. No hollow sounds anyway. It all sounds solid with slightly different tones.

Did find some swimming pool crack repair stuff that we are going to try first before going the grout replacement route. My daughter is afraid that the new grout color won't match (women!) and with their large family they need the shower ASAP.

Thanks a lot for all of the great info. that you guys put out here. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Last edited by HaroldU; 08-28-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Double Signature
HaroldU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Scythe

Quote:
My daughter is afraid that the new grout color won't match (women!) and with their large family they need the shower ASAP.
Uhh, there's already 4 different off-colored tiles in there. Four slightly off-colored grout lines should be the least of her worries I would think? You should be able to find a similar matching color.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
sandbagger

Harold - I think you're missing something here. This is nothing like a swimming pool wall. Unlike the pool wall - which must contain the water - shower tile doesn't serve that purpose. That's why you have liners and membranes and the like under the tile. Grout does not stop water. Slows it down, but doesn't stop it. It does keep the crud from getting under the tile, and cracks can let it through.

Like was said earlier, you need to verify the integrity of what's under that tile.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com