Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
tiger275

Preparing shower drain on concrete slab

Hello everyone.

I have read through the liberry and many other posts and I have gained tremendous information and potentially some knowledge (time will tell).

I purchased a house where the basement was "mostly finished". They had planned to install a shower and had done some of the preliminary work. They have the plumbing roughed in, the drain pipe set in concrete, the walls have backer board, etc.

Here is my question.

I need to prepare the shower drain prior to sloping, waterproof membrane, etc. but I am not sure how high the flange around the drain should be above the concrete floor once it is attached to the drain pipe. I see lots of examples for wooden subfloors but not alot of examples with slabs. I assume from most of the posts that 3/4 is a good target to allow room for the pre-slope.

Ultimately, we will be installing a straight curb acoss the opening and stone tile for the floor (2") and walls (18").

You can see the broad view of the shower in the first picture. It shows the drain pipe coming out of the floor and gives you a sense of the overall project.

The second picture shows the drain sitting on the concrete floor next to the drain pipe. Obviously I can not just cut off the pipe and use it at that height (boy would that have been easy). But how high should it be when complete.

The third picture is just to show you that the floow is not tile. It is a stained and textured thinset that is designed to look like tile. I do not plan to remove this under the shower.
Any help before I rent a concrete chipper and go to town?
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
bbcamp

Ed, you can chip around the pipe so the drain fitting sits lower, almost as low and the clamping flange. You can use an inside pipe cutter to cut the pipe below the concrete surface. So, it really boils down to how low you want it to go.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
tiger275

Is there a preferred or ideal distance to leave between the lower flange and the concrete or conceptually, the flange should lay on the concrete?

Also, should I "backfill" the hole with concrete or something else, or just leave it chipped out and backfill with the preslope material?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
bbcamp

I just noticed you are in Knoxville. Howdy, from your neighbor in Kingston!

You need to leave enough room to pack the deck mud under the flange. Also, you'll coat the slab with thinset to bond the deck mud to it. You don't want to set the drain so deep that the edge of your hole interferes with a smooth slope for the liner. I'd try to set the clamping flange about an inch above the slab to reduce the amount of concrete removal, but still keep the curb height to a minimum.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com