Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Haversack tile

testing a kerdi shower pan

hi,
im new to the site and i see alot of talk about kerdi, ive never seen it in person but i have researched a bit. im on the west coast, the only methods we use are pvc shower pan liners and hot- mopped pans. my question is has anyone ever had to test a kerdi shower pan for an inspection? the method i have read about for installing a kerdi pan uses thin set to glue all the seams, this seems like a lot of opportunity for human error and i just dont see thin set making a water tight seal. i currently float all my shower walls with lath and mud so kerdi could save a lot of time but i give a lifetime warranty so i want to find out more about it before trying it out.

thanks, jared

www.haversacktile.com

Last edited by Haversack tile; 08-07-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: ps by testing the shower pan i mean filling it with water for 24 hrs with zero water loss.
Haversack tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
MarkTarkus
Mark Christensen, Tile contractor

I flood test most of my kerdi showers and have tested many for days and a few for weeks. Done right they don't leak. I was leary of the system at first but once you see how it works it's easier to fathom. One of many great systems out there.
There is a schluter innovation workshop every few months in Anaheim I believe. It's a free 3 day course. You should look into attending one. You won't regret it. Aside from learning a ton about Schluter products I learned a lot about our trade in general. Great experience. Welcome to the forum.
MarkTarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Lots of Kerdi shower pans are flood tested, Jared. There are even lots of questions in threads here about the seams darkening when such testing is conducted.

Thus far we know of only one that actually failed, and, as is so often the case, we never really found out what was the cause of the failure. But it looked to me like the membrane had not been properly attached to the drain flange.

Also lots of threads on here with discussion of the infamous Kerdi beverage coolers, some of which have held water in a cardboard box for years. Re-use'em alla time when we have a function at the CTEF.

Only drawback I'm aware of is the required 24-hour wait time from installation to flood test.

I'd caution you about your enthusiasm about saving a lotta time over doing mud showers. If you're an accomplished mud man, you're not gonna see a great time savings in switching to Kerdi showers.

If you just Kerdi over prepared sheetrock boxes, you can save some time. Not a great deal, but some. If you hafta fix the framing to suit your requirements, re-sheetrock and install Kerdi, you're not gonna see a great gain.

Those of us who are only occasional mud men (or usta be) might find the two methods a wash as far as labor time is concerned. The Kerdi is easier work, though.

But at least one mud man known to me would lose a good bit of time doing Kerdi showers. At least for the first few dozen, I'd guess.

But for me, the big reason to change would be to have the bonded waterproof membrane on the entire interior of the shower immediately behind the tile surface, floor and all. Just makes good sense to some of us.

Others, not so much.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
Haversack tile

thanks for the feed back. it does make sense about not saving much time. thats why i have stayed away from backer board and other products, in the time it would take me to shim up and level every thing i could have floated it already. i think i will always be a "mud man" but i try to stay open minded about other methods and new products.

www.haversacktile.com
Haversack tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

No reason you can't have your cake and eat it too....mudded walls and kerdi for waterproofing. As far as getting folks to pay for it, thats another topic
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

John Bridge is the only guy I know personally who switched from mud to direct-bonded waterproofing for his shower construction method of choice, Jared. He went from being a long-term mud guy to not offering his customers any choice but Kerdi showers.

Maybe he'll stop in and give you his thoughts on the change-over from that perspective.

Or maybe not.

Another of our moderator staff, Davy, is a second generation mud guy and has elected to stay with mud forever and ever after having tried the Kerdi method.

Maybe he'll comment, too.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

Kerdi is good, just gotta be careful spreading your thinset, you can tear it if your careless.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is online now   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com