Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
suzedwards

slate - from pool table to countertop?

we're wondering if we can use the slate top from an old pool table to make a countertop for a kitchen island. Would have to remove the felt with some sort of product and then seal? Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Suzanne.

I think not, but we have pool experts and stone experts and countertop experts hereabouts, so hang on and perhaps I'll be proven wrong. Again.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Houston Remodeler

Being a pool table owner myself, and a kitchen counter owner. I can easily say I have no idea specifically what type of slate pool tables are made from. I do know they come out of one quarry in Italy. Hard enough for a counter? Yep I'd say so, knowing how hard those phenolic pool balls get knocked around. Normally the felt isn't glued down. It should be stretched into shape and stapled from underneath to some wood that has been epoxied onto the slate or clamped through the slate when the side rails are put on. If the felt was glued on, normally a very light coating of rubber cement is applied, sometimes contact adhesive. The layer is designed to be thin enough that the felt can be pulled off with ease.

Most pool tables have 1" slate. The really really good ones have a solid piece, but that table would be worth more as a pool table than as a counter top. Most pool tables have 3 removable pieces of slate put together to make 1 table.

FWIW its not felt, its worsted wool. Felt is just easier to say.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...

Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Sure ... I've worked with counter tops made from recycled paper, recycled concrete and glass, recycled wood, so why not recycled pool table slate. Its GREEN. You may have something here.

Need a fabricator?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
silvercitytile

Send a message via MSN to silvercitytile
thinking out side of the box

Schluter Kerdi and Ditra installer in Southern New Mexico
Castillo Construction
silvercitytile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Suzanne Welcome...and cool idea.

We had a customer with the same idea some time ago but they never got back to us...In this instance the Pool table had a solid piece and they claimed was 2cm Vermont Slate. I never saw the Slate but have done similar Counter Tops of Brazilian Green 3cm honed Slate and it's a very nice surface...Very similar to Soapstone in terms of the look and is fairly chemical resistant.

I would not hesitate to use it id the quality is good.

One consideration..There will not easily be a replacement to match should the fabricator make an error. As a fabrication Company we make and install an average of a Kitchen a day, and I can tell you once a month something goes wrong..either from a material issue or a human error or a combination of both. Taking on a job that has no possible or reasonable replacement if a corner breaks ect. is always scary and we are inclined to charge about 30% more for the risk of having to buy the client a complete replacement should the worst happen.
Don't go with the lowest bid..The low bidder will almost never have the capital built into his company to service you if there is a problem.

Go with someone like my friend Juan @ Red Rock Tile and Stone, who you will develop a personal relationship with..That kind of person sells service and quality. Go with a low bid and you'll be treated like a commodity rather than a valued client.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com