Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
cdog999

Crack or Fissure?

I had 3cm Uba Tuba Gold installed in the past week, and a couple days ago noticed this crack or fissure near along the front (full 3cm) on the section just in front of the under-mounted sink.

I took a few pictures of it for reference: http: //cdog999. tripod.com/granite
It won't let me post a url since I'm new, but you get the idea of how to see my pictures...

Any ideas on whether this is a crack or just a fissure? They added a piece of a 2 x 4 underneath this portion in front of the sink for support (same was added for my cook-top). There seem to be a fair amount of fissures in this stone and I know Uba Tuba typically has fissures, so I'm not sure about this one. It is just suspect to me based on the location in front of the sink.

I have the granite installer coming out tomorrow due to a number of sloppy aspects of the installation that he is going to fix. What should I ask him (or rather tell him) about this?
Attached Images

Last edited by cdog999; 07-04-2010 at 09:00 AM.
cdog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, cdog999. Please change your signature line to reflect a first name for us to use.

You can post your photos using the Manage Attachments feature below the Reply dialog box. We prefer you do that anyway so the photos become a permanent part of your thread and don't disappear later making the whole thread meaningless to future visitors, eh?
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
cdog999

Thanks for the input. I didn't see the Manage Photos section when I was going through with my first post. I have attached the relevant photos. Apologize if they are hard to see as I tried a number of different angles.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I think since it's running up and down and right at the sink it is a crack,whether it will affect the performance?If noone stands there i think it will last a lifetime.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
cdog999

So, should I complain when the installer comes out? This was quite the painful installation already. I have about 10 other things that the installer will be coming out to fix, but this is the only one (at least with my rudimentary knowledge of granite) that appears to be structural in nature. I'm just hoping they didn't miss and screw up other things.

And, I don't plan on standing on the granite (at least not in that location )
Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Houston Remodeler

I'd have to see a clearer, up close picture of the stone in that area to pass judgement. If the stone already had a fissure, then the crack was inevitable. Can you take a few? Use a firm object to hold the camera still while taking the close ups.

FWIW, I have seen too many people abuse granite countertops the day they area installed thinking they can be handled like formica. We get calls the next week about chips on the lip of the sink edge. Now I am not saying this was your fault, just saying is all it takes is a momentary mental lapse and without anyone knowing, a crack is born. It can start small and grow over time. I would seal it with butchers wax, knife grade epoxy or something one of our restoration pro's will reccommend and forget about it. Its stone, fissures are part of the deal and what make it pretty..

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com

Last edited by Houston Remodeler; 07-04-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
ob1kanobee

I'm going with a crack but that doesn't mean it can't be fixed. Once a crack is now a fisher and one that cannot be easily recognized by a good fix. I would hate to have to have that all redone.

Does it sound lose or anything? If not, it should be fixable if the guy is talented enough.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I'd need to see a better photo, as well.

But take a look at the opposite side of the sink (by the air gap) to see if there's a matching crack. If there is, it was very likely broken before or during installation.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution”
-Abraham Lincoln
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, like Ben said, I've seen guys that can patch a crack and make it look like a vein or make it disappear completely, depending on his talent and which stone it is.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I'm gonna recant,after puttin my glasses on and seeing shadows of other light colored(cracks) i'm gonna say it ain't one.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
cdog999

My camera really stinks, but here are some additional pictures using my tripod. I noticed this crack/fissure when installing the plumbing a couple of days after installation. Hadn't done anything to the counters other than clean them, so I'm sure it wasn't the result of anything I did.

It doesn't feel loose. I was under the impression that fissures (which this piece of Uba Tuba Gold has a good amount of) are typically on the surface?

Granite guy comes out tomorrow to fix the other mistakes. What should I have him do about this? Its a beautiful stone and I agree the surface fissures actually give it some character, and one reason I think we liked the Uba Tuba Gold over regular Uba Tuba which is more dull. But, I'm wanting to make sure I don't have a problem here.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
It seems to me like the sink rail cracked.

Easy enough to see if it goes together with any up/down movement of the top: Place a straight edge (on edge) along the sink rail and across the crack. See if there is a deviation in the level (the straight edge will see-saw or you will be able to see underneath it in spots)

If there was no difference in the level, and if you can not see any gaps in support underneath your sink rail, chances are that the rail is supported sufficiently and that it probably will not get worse in future. This does not rate as an emergency and a repair would be for cosmetic purposes only.

If - on the other hand - there is a change in level across the crack, you can feel the crack when you run your nail across it or there is an obvious lack of support under the rail, you have an issue that might well get worse over time. You have to make your installer guy fix it - and the sooner the better.

NOW: I am not saying that this is acceptable. I am also not saying that yours is the first recorded case in stone installation history either. Point is you paid the stone people, expecting to receive a quality installation. It is their obligation to make sure you do.

Ubatuba does have a lot of fissures, and, like you said, this is what gives it character. It is also what makes the stone a little tricky to fabricate and install. Either way, your issue could be fixed so that it will be virtually invisible.

I hope your stone guys do well by you.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg

Chris,

Your camera is focusing on the carpet on those shots you're looking down on the countertop. If you hold a piece of cardboard just under the countertop, you'll likely force the camera to focus on the cardboard/top.

For the photos taken from the side, you have the same problem of the camera focusing on a distance a couple feet past the front edge. Try putting an object on the countertop (bottle of soap or something) very close to the fissue/crack so that the camera has a big object to focus on.

Both of these techniques will radically sharpen the focus. If this doesn't work because the camera just can't focus that close, back the camera away from the top 2' and take the photos again.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution”
-Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
cdog999

Had a hard time finding a true straight edge, but doesn't appear to have one side higher than the other side. But, can definitely feel it with my fingernail (although when moving around to find general fissures on top of the granite I can typically feel with my fingernail as well).

This picture below is about the best I can do in my current lighting conditions.
Name:  Picture 008 rotated.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  43.9 KB

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 07-04-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Rotate the picture
cdog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
Tool Guy - Kg

Better pic. At the moment, it looks more like a fissure than a crack. Do you see this fissure/crack when looking at the unpolished bottom?

Maybe I missed you answering my question I asked earlier about the condition of the c-top on the other side of the sink bowl (by the air-gap). How's that look?

-Abraham Lincoln

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com