Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
mpalo

Master Bath Remodel

Hello, I am new to your site but am extremely thankful of the wealth of knowlege contained in it. I am relatively new to tiling. I have done a few different rooms...all floors. I am now tackling a floor, shower. I am removing existing tile in shower and re-tiling. My first question : Is it possible to remove existing tile in shower on walls, floor and curb without having to re-install PVC, Lath...etc..? I have removed the existing tile from the curb and didn't have much luck keeping the installed material used on the wood in tact. Is this what I should expect when removing the floor and walls? I'm sure to have more questions but if I could get this info I then can make my materials list. Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Is this what I should expect when removing the floor and walls?
I would expect to remove it all down to the studs, and remove the floor down to the slab or subfloor (depending on what you have).

This is a good thing though. You are never going to have a better opportunity to change out shower valves and supply lines, look for water damage and repair it, straighten up/reinforce your framing, etc, etc. Take it all down completely, then you can rebuild knowing the the entire thing is built to last.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Mike, if it's an older home with original tile, the walls are probably lath and mud just like the curb. Take it all down like Deckert said. Check out the "shower construction info" thread in the liberry. A lot of good reading in there.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
lasvegaslenny
Desert Dweller

If the shower is tile over drywall I use a sawzall with a carbide blade and cut aound the perimeter of the tile and then make horizontal cuts through the grout lines and pry out nice sized pieces of "drywall toast with tile jelly".

And you really should start with a clean slate, down to the studs so you can see whats been happening inside the walls and replace your shower valve. I find that raising the shower head up a bit is also nice because many seem to have been set at a good height for "little people"

www.MasterBuiltLasVegas.com

"We are born to action; and whatever is capable of suggesting and guiding action has power over us from the first." -Charles Horton Cooley
lasvegaslenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
mpalo

Thanks for the info guys. So if I wanted to use the Kerdi method, where would I go to purchase the materials and how much do I need? More importantly, do you have a ballpark figure on the cost of the materials? The shower measures 3ft x 5ft x 6ft tall with the standard size curb. Thanks in advance
Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Mike. In Dallas, check with Interceramic on Forest lane near Denton Drive. Wear an old shirt and pants and tell them you are a contractor and they will sell to you. I'm not sure about their prices, I don't buy enough Kerdi to keep up with it.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Houston Remodeler

Schluter also makes complete kerdi kit in a box. Web search on line or go to the schluter web site to find a local source. Don't some of our advertisers carry it ?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
mpalo

Shopping for Tile

Hi, I am in the middle of a shower job for my parents and they are having trouble finding tile that they like at the box stores, (Lowes and Home Depot). Where can you recommend they go in the Dallas area that has actual tile that they can look at and not tile books? Thanks, you folks are the best!

Mike
Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

There are a number of folks from your area, but may not be on the forum for a bit.

Meanwhile, you could do a Google search for "tile stores in dallas texas" to get a number of tile stores in your area.

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
mpalo

Shower Curb

Thanks for the tip Bubba. If I have cement backerboard installed on the curb, is it necessary to go through the mortar installation procedure that John posted? Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg

Ren Mike,

I'm taking a bit of a stab, but is your last comment about John Bridge's article in the Liberry?

If you have backerboard installed on a curb and you're doing something other than a surface waterproofing membrane like Kerdi or NobleSeal, then you gotta problem that needs to be fixed before going further.

Please clarify.

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
mpalo

Unhappy Curb issue

Yes, I was referencing the post in the Liberry. I had a feeling something is amiss but didn't know how to fix it. I do have backerboard on the curb...you were saying?//? Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg

Earlier in this thread, there was some mention of Kerdi.
Are you using Kerdi (or another waterproofing membrane) or...

Are you going for a traditionally built shower with a heavy liner attached to a clamping drain, with backerboard walls and a moisture barrier (4-6 mil plastic or roofing felt) behind the cement board?
In a nutshell, we're short info on how you're building this shower.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
mpalo

Question

Sorry, you are correct. I am just building traditional. No Kerdi. Heavy liner attached to a clamping drain, with backerboard walls and a moisture barrier (4-6 mil plastic) behind the cement board. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

The problem is the nails thru the panliner - if you look in the Pro's Hangout for the "Worst Tile Job" thread, you'll understand why.

The correct fix is to remove the backer and patch the holes. Then bend/wrap diamond lath over the curb & liner, nailing only on the outside of the curb. Over the lath, you cover with fat mud. There is a discussion of this in the Liberry... somewhere.

Some guys leave the backer and cover the entire curb (inside, top, outside) with a membrane like Kerdi, Redgard, etc... not sure about this though.

Someone else will have to help with the finer points of this as I only build showers with surface applied membranes.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com