Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Lizzrd02

How to mud hardibacker?!

Please help me!
We are redoing two bathrooms in our new house and tiling most of them. The parts that are not going to be tiled we are just going to put the hardibacker instead of drywall because a) they aren't that big of areas and b) my hubby is ocd about water and is afraid drywall won't be water tight enough. Sooo...the question I have is how do you mud the screws, joints that aren't getting tile over them, etc for a smooth surface? Would sheetrock 90 work for this application? We had a tile guy tell us that normal drywall mud would work but my water-phobic hubby isn't so sure. Do you just apply thinset to smooth it out? It seems like it would be really hard to get a smooth finish that way? Any information you can give me would be so helpful!
Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Welcome Liz

From Hardi's install instrucions:

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...install-us.pdf

Quote:
Finishing with Paint, Wallpaper or Texture
1. Painting or Wallpapering
Apply a drywall primer suitable for high-moisture areas, as recommended by the paint manufacturer. Paint HardieBacker board as you would drywall. If wallpapering, prime surface of HardieBacker board with a primer suitable for high-moisture areas as recommended by the wallpaper manufacturer.
2. Texturing
Texture can be applied to HardieBacker board in the same way as drywall.
Use drywall joint compound, not thinset. If finishing to a smooth wall, i'd skim coat the entire board. Otherwise, i'd just finish joints between boards. You can use powdered or pre-mixed over Hardi, pre-mixed is much more user friendly. Mix any pre-mixed you use before applying and thin with a little potable water if necessary. Getting a good finish for smooth wall with setting joint compound (hot mud/quick mud/20, 40, 90 minute) is tricky to say the least. Good paint and primer properly installed, along with proper sized and used exhaust fan vented to exterior, will take care of any potential moisture issues. FYI, I've never used tile backer outside a shower due to potential moisture problems... look where i live and build.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Lizzrd02

Thanks for the response. I have one more question too. We have the walls down to the studs. Should some kind of vapor barrier be applied before the hardibacker is installed or is it ok to attach it right to the studs? Can you make any suggestions on what product to use if so? Thanks again
Old 06-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Outside the shower, absolutely no vapor retarder/barrier behind the boards. A vapor retarder primer or PVA primer is a good idea though. There are also vapor retarder finish paints available.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com