Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
weatherboy80

Interlocking Glass Tile?

Hello Again,

I've worked with mosaic 1" X 1" glass tiles before, but never had the pleasure of working with interlocking sheets of random brick patterns. My wife and I are thinking of installing this particular tile as a backsplash, perhaps in a bathroom (attached image). This particular tile is from Daltile and is part of their reflections brand. I understand that these simply interlock along the way, but there will be a few areas around the backsplash that will need a clean/straight cut or border along the edge. I presume the cuts should be made and then turned into the field to fill in the straight edge, correct? They don't make cap peices for these tiles, do they? Is this tile fairly straight forward to work with?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Joe,

I worked with some glass similar to yours about a month ago on a backsplash. It was all interlocking. You are correct in your statement about cutting it and then turning it back in for your areas where the edge of the glass will be seen. One thing I had a problem with was cutting this glass and getting a clean cut. Since that some guys here have recommended using a special blade just for glass. The glass I used had a coating on the back of it and it chipped a lil while I was cutting it. I think it woulda helped a lot had I taped it in the area being cut to get a cleaner cut. You may have to experiment with it before you jump in to use it to make sure of these issues. I will post the pic here later of how mine turned out, I did post it in "works in progress" but thats a long thead!

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile
CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA

jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler

We did a very similar backsplash. To cut the tiles, mark them on the sheet, remove each one from the sheet, then using the glass tools pictured below, score and snap the tiles. You'll get nice clean cuts. You can buff the edges if you have the tools to get a factory looking edge, or turn the tile so the cut edge is not towards the outside.

On this particular job the customer wanted metal edging to go with her solid bamboo cabinets.

By the way, we did this entire job without a wet saw.
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com

Last edited by Houston Remodeler; 06-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
weatherboy80

Wow - awesome job!!

Can you tell me where you got each one of those tools (for a newbie that is learningas he goes)? I love the fact that you didn't have to use a wet saw. There are going to be at least 2-3 (24" or so) locations where we will want a clean edge, so that's alot of straight cuts with this particular tile.

Also did you use 1/8" spacers to keep the grout lines consistent in between sheets? Your lines look pretty spot on to me above.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words. In that installation we had 5 ends/edges to cut, and the outlets and the winder. We wound up using 3/32" spacers as they fit into the particular tile well.

The tools are available from any glass supply store, hobby store, craft store, stained glass store. The red handled pliers are called "running pliers" The cutting oil is some unspecified magic elixir. All are less than $15 each. Practice on some scraps.

Once you score the glass, you have about a minute or less to snap it and get your best cut. The longer you putz around, the worse the snap will be. You don't have to rush, but work smoothly.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
weatherboy80

Thanks, could you explain the cutting process? I'm guessing you mark your cut, score along that particular mark, then snap along the score, correct? Is there anything I'm missing? What does the "magic" oil do?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
Houston Remodeler

You are correct in the score and snap process. I like to use a speed square to make sure the cuts are perfect 90.

Let me "youtube" that for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1bRi8ygZWE

I have no idea what the magic oil really does. But it use it anyway.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
weatherboy80

Cool, thanks for the video - that does help. Hoepfully the local big box craft store has these tools. WIth that oil, do you put it on before or after you score the tile? Looking at my backsplash it looks like I'll have quite a few of these cuts to make along edges and 3-4 outlets. Should be fun.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
Houston Remodeler

Joe, I like to take a folded piece of paper towel and make a small puddle of magic oil on it. Just a little dab will do ya. Run the blade of the scoring tool along the oil in the napkin once or twice to rub off any dirt and get a light coat of oil on the tool.

Then score your line.

Do that for each cut.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
weatherboy80

Paul,

A couple of more questions

How thick were those interlocking glass tiles pictures above - ~5/16"?

Also it says my sheets are 12" X 18", so does that mean it covers 1.5 sq ft, or since there a gaps (interlocking sections) it still only covers ~1 sq ft in surface area. Bascially I'm trying to estimate how many sheets to order.

Thanks Again!
Joe
Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Houston Remodeler

Yes they were about 5/16"

I always rely on the tile sales rep to figure out what each tile really covers. Its supposed to be what it says on the label.... I am thinking they are accounting for the overlap in that figure.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
weatherboy80

Done!!

I'd like to second the use of traditional glass tile tools/nippers for cutting these longer interlocking glass tiles. Seemed much easier than using a wet saw, plus the cuts came out perfectly staight (after some practice).

We ended up using this tile to "re-tile" our kitchen backsplash. Overall very happy with the job, and provides a much more modern/wow look versus simple 1" mosaics (opinion). I'll upload a closer/better shot later. Thanks for the help
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler

Good work Joe !

Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
sml

Joe/Paul,

I posted a question in a different thread about cutting these glass tiles with the score and snap method but no one responded so I'll try my luck in this thread.

It's my first time doing these kinds of "pencil" mosaic tiles and I'm trying to grasp how you would cut a straight line down a 12x12 mesh sheet? So, assuming that I want to install the tile in the same orientation as in Joe's picture, I would have to cut the tile into a straight line for the corner pieces. The tile I'm using is fairly thick (1/2") so you can't just score and snap it off with your fingers. I'm thinking what I would have to do is score it with a glass cutter, then using a pair of running pliers I would have to snap the first piece then cut the mesh backing, then snap the second piece, etc? My problem is what happens when I get to the third and fourth piece cause the pliers jaws won't reach anymore? Sorry, I'm conceptually challenged so I can't imagine how it would work and I didn't want to spend all the money buying the glass cutting tools not knowing how to use it first! Thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
Houston Remodeler

Les,
Got a pic of that tile?

Sometimes the auto-bots get ahold of the posting list and shake out the old ones, which I may have missed.

Are you sure you can't snap them by hand by placing a pencil under the cut and leaning on the scrap edge?

I'd like to see the tiles to help better.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com