Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
tile student

gap between base molding and floor

Hi guys, I had ceramic tiles over luan, I took them all out and installed new ceramic over ditra. I don't know what the height difference are now but the new floor is lower by maybe 3/16-1/4?. I am finishing up with some new base molding that needs to butt up to the molding from the hallway, so I need to use the same profile molding.

how should I address the gap between floor and wall, are there higher molding that I could rip down to get a good fit? Caulking, Quarter round etc?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
CharlieM

I assume this is an open room that meets an open hallway (no door jambs to break up the transition).

I'm not sure what kind of base you're using, but you might consider something like a plinth block at the meeting corners as a transition point between the areas.

I wouldn't try caulking that much of a gap.

The real flooring pros probably have better ideas.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
bulldog tile

If the flooring in the hallway is different, I don't see anything wrong with using a shoemold over the gap and stop it when it comes to the different floor - or keep on going to a reasonable stop if the other floor isn't carpet. Shoemold with carpet is kinda funky. Most of the homes I work on have shoemold over hard floors and keep the same base throughout. Just an ideer.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
tile student

Is the shoe mold the same as a quarter round white molding?
The hall way is carpet, the molding turns to the tile area (house entrance)

Can you see this here on the left side, blue tape is carpet. Do I just start the shoe molding right there on the left on one end..

Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
bulldog tile

From the pic it looks like you can stop the shoemold at the corner where the blue tape picks up. When you stop the shoemold you can back cut a 45 degree angle in the shoemold so's you don't have a square edge there. Quarter round is just that 1/4 of a round - both flat sides are the same length. A shoemold is more oblong in shape kinda like 3/8 on the bottom side and 1/2 on its perpendicular side.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
tile student

OK, I found this picture somewhere of a shoe mold, I guess it still look better than a big gap.'

I am also doing a wood trim between the 2, so I suppose the cross section area won't be as visible after that is installed too.

How would you install it, obviously shooting a nail 45 like in the picture is not what I am looking for, not sure if I can get my gun to get so flat on the ground.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
bulldog tile

Not savy enough with the 'puter to locate an img of a brad nailer and post it but if you have access to an air compressor you can get a brad nailer that shoots up to a two inch brad is great for shoemold. I usually use a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 for the job.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
JC

1/4 is the way to go..it in my opinion is not a "cheap fix" it is the proper way to do a tile job. it gives it an elegant look. (it is the cheap builders that don't use it).

Also the original purpose if 1/4 round(and indeed of all wood trim moldings) is to hide gaps...the 1/4 round will conform to the floor and hide gaps where normal baseboard won't bend.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com