Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
PSTile
Minnesota Tile Contractor

hydroban or 9235?

Due to a few issues with Mer-Krete, I'm contemplating a switch to Hydro Ban. I see a lot of people here using the product but Laticrete's website doesn't specifically say that Hydro Ban can be used for shower pans whereas the 9235 does. So what's what? And what about this "no fabric" thing? Will Hydro Ban stretch far enough to make up for a settling house or a shifting wall? I think I'd be just a little nervous going naked (no fabric) in the corners of a shower stall.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Quote:
Uses
▪ Interior and exterior.
▪ Swimming pools, fountains and water features.
▪ Shower pans, stalls and tub surrounds.
Quote:
*** Consult cement backer board manufacturer for specific installation recommendations
It can be used for shower pans.
Most CBU installation instructions say mesh on the joints. I like meshing mine just because It seems more normal.

Dinsmore Tile L.L.C.
scuttlebuttrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Quote:
I think I'd be just a little nervous going naked (no fabric) in the corners of a shower stall.
use Hydro Barrier.
it's cheaper and uses a fabric in the corners.

Name:  IMG_5070a.JPG
Views: 587
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5101a.JPG
Views: 579
Size:  15.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5201a.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  15.6 KB
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler

and a pretty blue color

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
mudd_it
aint stoppin till its tiled!

hydroban all the way! Mesh your corners just for kicks, atleast thats what I do. Dont get me wrong 9235 is great stuff too.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
gueuzeman

gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

I hydrobaned my first shower without using any fabric. I find the hydroban to be much better than other liquids I have used. Seems to bond better, stretch a bit more, and dry harder. Been pretty happy with it. Might give the hydrobarrier a try though since it is cheaper and adding fabric doesn't slow me down much. I am slow anyway.

Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider
I am slow anyway
better to be slow then have leaks
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Due to a few issues with Mer-Krete, I'm contemplating a switch to Hydro Ban.
Were these actual product issues, Chris, or business issues?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Cain
Cain

http://www.laticrete.com/Portals/0/pdf/AU-34.pdf

IAPMO certification

I was just looking at hydro barrier today, I've been using Hydroban but half the price may get me trying barrier, been using fabric on coves and curbs anyway. anyone got any input on it?
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
PSTile

Quote:
Were these actual product issues, Chris, or business issues?
Kinda both. Mer-krete was sold through my local Dal-Tile, but they no longer carry it. I can order it through another tile store but that would require me to plan ahead. I like to go buy the stuff when I need it instead of inventorying it. The main issue seems to be quality control. Every so often, we seem to get a run of debris-laden product. The globs range from 1/16" to 3/16" round or odd-shaped pieces. I've talked with my rep in the past and he wasn't sure what the stuff is but did offer to replace my bad batch.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Product availability seems to be getting to be more and more of a problem these days, Chris.

The contaminated product is certainly something someone at Merkrete really needs to know about, though. Don't know if you're local rep is sending that info back to the Mother Ship, but I'm sure they'll look in here and see it.

I've not yet used their waterproofing membranes, but I know at least one of'em has caught my attention as a really serious contender in that market. Seems like some good pookey.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
merkretetyler

CX and PSTile - Chris,
I apologize for not being on the JB site for awhile. I was in industry meetings (ANSI A 108, ISo and MMSA) and at Coverings this week. Where I saw a lot of great John Bridge contractor's. Then went directly to Colorado Springs, CO. to speak at a CSI Southwest Region conference, finishing yesterday late.
Unfortunately, the Merkrete representative in PSTile's area is an independent representative and he manages his business as he feels is appropriate. Our company reps must fill out a complaint form on any concerns from the field. We (Merkrete and Parex USA) are a ISO 9001-2000 company and the ISO certification requires extremely good documenting. I always say ISO 9001 means I have to do 9001 pages of paperwork on complaints, just joking.
The below comment does concern me.

hydroban or 9235?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Due to a few issues with Mer-Krete, I'm contemplating a switch to Hydro Ban. I see a lot of people here using the product but Laticrete's website doesn't specifically say that Hydro Ban can be used for shower pans whereas the 9235 does. So what's what? And what about this "no fabric" thing? Will Hydro Ban stretch far enough to make up for a settling house or a shifting wall? I think I'd be just a little nervous going naked (no fabric) in the corners of a shower stall.
I think the Laticrete products are good products and if the availability is better, understandable your interest in them. We (Merkrete) know nothing of your complaint. I know I review every complaint. Your previous posting on "Every so often, we seem to get a run of debris-laden product. The globs range from 1/16" to 3/16" round or odd-shaped pieces." is a concern. My guess is it is frozen material because I am not aware of any contamination issues. Please feel free to contact me with any additional information you can provide me, batch numbers, when this occurred, etc. If samples are available I will arrange to have the material shipped to our labs in Riverside, CA.

Regarding the fabric: I still feel the fabric can be very beneficial in strengthen two different planes and more important, assisting control the proper depth of liquid applied membranes. My wording and belief from the Merkrete SP1 waterproof membrane data sheet, is below:

Reinforcement

SP1 has been formulated to perform as a waterproof and crack isolation membrane without reinforcing fabric. As a crack isolation membrane fabric is typically not recommended. As a waterproof membrane, manufacturer recommends the use of supplied 8” reinforcing fabric to ensure maximum protection at joints, cracks, protrusions, dissimilar materials, and drains.

I hope my comments are helpful. I can be reached through the John Bridge site, my email jim.whitfield@parexusa.com or cell phone 719-339-1052

No Longer Merkrete / Parex USA

Last edited by cx; 05-02-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Repair quote link
merkretetyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi all.

Jim, why didn't you ping me when you were on the floor? Then again, why didn't I ping you? I'm sorry on my end. I get to having so much fun I forget where I'm at and what I'm supposed to be doing. I don't have to work as hard as the rest of you guys at the show.

I want to mention permeability. I guess no one here is concerned about that. Availability, of course, is basic -- can't get it cant' use it, but folks should also know how well each product blocks water and steam.

The only thing I know about 9235 is that I was one of the very first people to use it -- over three decades ago.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
PSTile

Quote:
I want to mention permeability. I guess no one here is concerned about that. Availability, of course, is basic -- can't get it cant' use it, but folks should also know how well each product blocks water and steam.
I just assumed that because it was marketed as a shower pan liner, that it blocked water. Certian brands do say not to use them in steam showers though.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com