Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
anmer

New home - seal grout?

Hi,

We are moving into a new home and we're looking for opinions/tips on sealing grout and stuff.

1) We have tiles in the living room floor as well as bathroom floors & tile surrounds. What can I use to seal the grout?

2) I have heard of products like Dry Treat(drytreat.com) and STT(stt-sealers.com). Do these really work and is it worth the money?

3) We've got tumbled stone on the kitchen backspash. Will sealing help dirt from accumulating/keep it low maintenance?

Thanks a ton:-)
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
hi Amner,

Yes sealing grout if its not epoxy will always "help" maintain it and natural stone too as long as its not polished. Haven't heard of the brands you mentioned but I normally use AquaMix but there are many kinds and some at your big box stores.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile
CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA

jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
tileman2000
New England Tile Man

Hi anmer,

Never heard of those products,but Stonetech is a good sealer and it comes in different types for specific locations.For your backsplash,you can cover everything and wipe it down before it sets up too much,so don't get too far ahead of yourself.For the other floors and walls,try to keep the sealer close to the grout joint,if any gets on the tile you can simply wipe it off after a few minutes with a terry cloth.

Edit:Aquamix is another good choice

Last edited by tileman2000; 03-31-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling
tileman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
anmer

Thank you:-)
I'm looking for something that will not need to be redone every now and then. With AquaMix, how often would we have to reseal?
Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
tileman2000
New England Tile Man

Aqua Mix grout sealer lasts up to 5 years.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
ob1kanobee

The two products you have asked about are superior grout sealers as well as stone sealers. No grout sealer even comes close IMO.

I'm a Dry-Treat guy myself but I have heard good things about the other one you mentioned. Someone mentioned AquaMix and they have great products but for sealing grout you cannot beat the two that you mentioned.

Don't know who told you about those two products but they have some good knowledge at least about good sealers. Who told you about them if you don't mind saying?

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
SABoyt
Tile, stone and grout cleaning and restoration

I always explain to my customers very carefully that we use high quality sealers that are rated to last up to 20 years. What this means is, if i were to apply the sealer to your grout and put a padlock on the door and not let anyone or anything into your house, when you come back in 20 years the sealer would probably still be there. This is not however a typical situation. Everyone uses different cleaners and subjects the surface to different staining agents. If properly cared for, the sealer can last you 3 to 5 years. This is not a guarantee!!

If you are looking at AM Sealers Choice Gold, that is a longlife sealer. Just use neutral cleaners to clean and avoid spills that are alkaline in nature and it will last a long time. Clean spills immediately and don't use vinegar or bleach or any harsh chemicals no matter what brand you use.
TMTrecovery.com
New and used Truck mounts
Cleaning and Sealing Trainer

ColorClad™ Premium ColorSeal Distributor
SABoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
anmer

Well I learnt about dry treat through a google search for a good grout seal. And STT came up when I was looking up reviews on dry treat....lol.

In any case, is it recommended to seal grout? Or just leave as-is and follow good cleaning procedure?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
ob1kanobee

Depends who you ask really. I started sealing grout 20 years ago. Back then I guess with what we had to work with at the time I would say it was worth it. The sealers back then I used, a couple are still on the market today such as AquaMix regular Penetrating Sealer. Today if that was the only good sealer available I would use it.

However today we have some really exceptional sealers on the market. For grout and some other mediums that would benefit greatly from sealing, I like Dry Treat. Aquamix Gold was also mentioned. It is a great sealer but IMO not as good as Dry Treat for grout.

I'm so confident in that DryTreat product vs. AQuaMix Gold, I would be willing to throw down a grand on Dry Treat vs. Aquamix ona side by side comparrison for grout sealer with different stain test.

Some guys don't like to seal. Some guys have never tried a product like Stain Proof so how they could say sealing isn't worth it, I don't know. Ignorance I guess.....I would use it in my home and if a customer wanted me to apply it to their floor I would under the right circumstances and expectations. If we are talking about standard grout, you can't beat that sealer and if installers took my bets everyday I could count money in my spare time from my winnings. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
anmer

Thank you Ben.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
ob1kanobee

Your welcome. Also, don't pay much attention to how long it says the product lasts. I'm sure they have good intentions on how they come up with a number of years but I don't buy into it. Too many factors determine a realistic number.

If you are using it for grout and you notice the grout is not repelling water for instance any longer or for too short a period of time then you need to seal again regardless of what seealer you used. Use cleaners intended for everyday tile and grout cleaning. AquaMix makes good cleaners for that and can be purchased online or at a reputable tile store.

Color sealing the grout is another way to go that I am fond of. You can change the color and seal it it one step.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com