Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
tile student

stone countertop underlayment

Hi, after much thinking I have decided to go have a fabricator come in and to install man-made quartz countertop in 2CM thickness and laminated edge. (~1.5" appearance) I was told I need provide and install plywood underlayment myself and use 5/8" plywood. It sounds like a little thin to me and the edge might scrape my cabinet drawers fronts? But then there is the glue in between.

Does that sound right to you guys? Is there really 5/8" plywood around, because plywood are really like 19/32. or 23/32". Got a piece of 3/4" (i think that is technically the 23/32) in the garaage already and 2CM is more than 3/4", the only uncertainy is how thick is the glue used to secure the countertop.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

5/8 is minimum under 2cm stone slabs, so it sounds about right for the stuff you're having done.

If you know the manufacturer, you can look up the installation instructions for that product to verify - check their website. If you're thinking about going thicker, I'd verify with the fabricator that it'll be hidden by the new counter-top edge and still allow clearance at any doors or drawers.

edit; when we say 5/8 now, we usually mean 5/8 nominal, not exactly 5/8. So 19/32 cdx is typical for those sub-tops.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "

Last edited by dhagin; 03-08-2010 at 05:45 PM.
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
tile student

Yes, I have talked to the kitchen designer and that's what I was told (5/8")
I would like to talk to the fabricator but havn't got commited to that point yet, he should be able to answer the glue thickness.

I called manufacturer and they were no help and told me to refer to the installer.

2CM is thicker than 3/4", and my 3/4" plywood is really 23/32 which is less than 3/4". I have a piece of sample somewhere and I forgot to measure the actual thickness.

I would definitely defer the purchase of plywood until I meet the fabricator.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

See my edit above. "2 cm" isn't always exactly 2 cm either. Consider it 2 cm nominal unless or until you have actual confirmation from the fab guy. The glue is often clear silicone.

Manufacturers usually have the instructions on a website, but not always....

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com