Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-24-2003, 03:56 PM   #1
F8

Question Tile Purchase?

I was recently quoted the price of some tile by a friend of a friend and am not sure if I am getting as good of a deal as once thought. The tiles are said to be of premium quality and are made in italy by Sassolnova Sassolart. The are the sandstone 13*13, colors beige and noce. The price was $3.00 each ($2.56 sq. ft.) All of the writing on the box is italian and I can see no ratings. After a trip to the HD I noticed tiles that cost much less and where of similiar colors. I did shop a few tile stores, but this friend is a wholesaler, and I figured he wouldn't screw with me. Am I wrong? Is there any special way to tell the quality of tile by looking at the tile itself?

Thanks again.
F8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2003, 07:11 PM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

I don't know how good of a friend he is but 3 bucks a sq ft will buy a really good 12" porcelain tile.

Make sure the rating is PEI of 4 or better for that price.

As a comparison, check the thickness of the "good" tile vs others in the same price range - even those @ HD or Lowes. A cheap tile will be quite thin. Some of the 79-99 cent tile have broken while I was setting them... just plain cheap !!!

Jason
Jason_Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
The problem is that we are at the mercy of the folks selling us the tile. If we can't trust them, we don't buy from them. Regular tile distributors have all the information available that you might want for any product they sell.

I'll tell you this. Good tiles are heavy, meaning the "clay content" is high. It's not just what you see on the surface.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
F8

Thanks to both of you,

I will do what is suggested just to make sure.

Thanks.
F8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 01:41 PM   #5
LGB
Tile Contractor -- Pennsylvania

A quick little test is to sprinkle a few drops of water on the back of the tile. The cheap tile will absorb the water faster because it's not as dense...

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com