Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
cawall

Applying Epoxy Grout On Granite Tile

Hi!! I'm a newbie to this forum and I'm going to be doing a granite tile countertop job for our kitchen.

I've done 10 - 12 DIY tile jobs with both slate & ceramic tile before -- both floor and countertops. But I've never used granite or epoxy grout before. I'd really like some advice.

My plan is to use Baltic Brown 12"x12" granite tiles with the grout color as close to black as I can get. The tiles will be butted together (no spacers).

My questions:

1). Is epoxy grout hard to clean off the granite?
2). Will water clean up the grout -- or do I need special chemicals?
3). Do I seal the tiles before I apply the grout?
4). Do I seal the grout after it has has set for several days?
5). Will I have problems forcing the grout into the very narrow separations between the tiles?
6). Who's epoxy grout is best (mfgrs names appreciated)?
7). Is epoxy grouting substantially more difficult than an unsanded grout, ceramic tile installation?

TIA for any advice you can give me.

Chuck
Old 03-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
hbrothberg

Epoxy Grout On Granite Tile

Chuck:

Full Disclosure - I am biased. I work for Laticrete. We manufacture SpectraLOCK "Stainless" Epoxy Grout.

OK, so now to your specific questions:

1). Is epoxy grout hard to clean off the granite? - if you purchase the "right" epoxy grout, NO, it will not be hard to clean off of the granite.

2). Will water clean up the grout -- or do I need special chemicals? - Clean up with water.

3). Do I seal the tiles before I apply the grout? - usually not needed

4). Do I seal the grout after it has has set for several days? - A "good" epoxy grout requires no sealing.

5). Will I have problems forcing the grout into the very narrow separations between the tiles? - Should be no problem grouting joints from 1/8" up to ....

6). Who's epoxy grout is best (mfgrs names appreciated)? - Note - I am biased ...! SpectraLOCK from Laticrete Int'l

7). Is epoxy grouting substantially more difficult than an unsanded grout, ceramic tile installation? - No

Henry
Office: (203) 393-0010 ext 202
Cell: (203) 988-1814

Full Disclosure: I am a 2nd generation Laticrete guy !
Follow my Blog: www.laticrete.blogspot.com
hbrothberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
cawall

Henry -- Thanks For The Info!!

Henry --

Thanks for the info -- I'm feeling more comfortable with epoxy now. One little thing I want to double check. My grout joints will be less than 1/8" -- probably closer to 1/16" -- if I do things right. Any problem?

Chuck
Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler

Chuck,

I don't work for Laticrete, just use their products. What Henry said is correct. From my hands on experience, you shouldn'e have a problem. I am thinking you have highh polished granite, right? the usual stuff we see all the time and not "flamed" granite (which is really rough and normally installed outside for traction in bad weather.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
JIMMY G

Chuck,
I am a DIYer myself and just used spectraLOCK last weekend on a bathroom floor with 12 x12 tile 3/16 spaced. I have to say at first I was worried as it seemed hard to spread and I hated the hard epoxy float. I switched to a regular grout float and had better luck. I still was not happy with the finish. Then I waited 30 minutes and did the first wash. This is when I started to feel better. The grout smoothed to a real nice finish and it was easy to clean off the residual haze. The second wash was done an hour later and I was pleased with the final look. I would recommend you practice to gain a feel for how to apply. I started in a closet area. My last comment is buy a little more then you think you will need. It doesn't go far. I want to be clear to anyone reading this that I am more then pleased with the results and would use it again. I really am looking forward to the fact I don't have to seal it and it won't stain. From what I read it won't crack either.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Chuck,

The Spectralock is the way to go. Just follow the instructions. Even experienced tile guys that haven't used epoxy get into trouble if they use the same techniques they use for standard grout.

Spectralock is so much easier that what epoxy used to be like. Just get the haze of the same day. Don't wait until the next day to buff the haze off the way you might with unsanded.

Laticrete even gives use special detergent powder to put in your wash water to take care of the haze.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
cawall

Thanks To All For Your Help

Thanks to all of you who have replied for your help. As far as I'm concerned this is the BEST board for tile expert wannabies!! I'm glad I got the "heads up" on this forum from the folks at Bedrock Creations (great guys too).

Chuck

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com