Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #46
deepwater

I had someone call me to give an estimate at a house full of carpet. The lady let the 6 dogs and 10 cats crap and pee all over and never cleaned. I could not stand to walk into the house. I told her it would be $100s/f to remove the carpet and lay the tile. I figured I could sub it out to some starving installer for $25s/f. She never called me back...and I did not care to follow up.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #47
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

Brad,

Your post wins!

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #48
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Did a shower once inna house wiff CATS.. You know how most people have specific places for cats to do their thing? Well, these cats musta not like that place cause they did their thing on the asbestos tiles on the floor in this bath.. I can't remember if there were two layers of tile or not - been a while back.. The odor wasn't really too bad when you were standing in the room but MAN.... once you started tearin up the asbestos tiles that were over concrete it was absolutely sickening and I can stomach pretty much anything.. I had to keep going outside to get fresh air... It was a little room but took a long time to get all the tiles up... ......
Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #49
alacrity

The worst for me was doing some repair work in a kitchen of a bar/restaurant. It was the room with the deep fryers and the grill...which were missing legs and being held up by the solidified grease inbetween. We ripped out 1x1s over grease and mop-water saturated mudbed and replaced with quarry tile. The whole floor should have been replaced, but the owner only wanted small areas replaced. The smell was so bad that the bartenders came back and asked what the smell was...the sink that they had in there wasn't properly hooked up to the drain, so anything dumped in the sink just soaked into the floor...including the juice from the oysters...I remember that smell the most. I threw out those jeans, gloves, knee pads, and it took a couple weeks to get that smell out of my nose. Needless to say, I will never eat there, and every time I go out to eat I think of that kitchen. At least the bartenders were smoking hot.

Rick, you may know of the place, it's right next to the Granite Run Mall, and it's called R*d*le Ale House, do yourself a favor and don't eat there.

The second wasn't that bad, but it ruined Chick-fil-A for me. We went in and put up plastic over everything, then pressure washed the quarry tile...turns out there wasn't a lot of grout, just some grease/dirt combination packed in the joints. We replaced any base that flew off and re-grouted everything with epoxy. I live in the country, so that was my first experience with cock roaches, you would turn on a light and see them all scatter...it was actually comical by the end of the night. I'd do it again...the money was great.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase