Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
aceshelman

Pedestal sink over or -in- ceramic tile wall?

Hi all, first time poster...

What I have dealt with so far
I'm in the middle of a sink replacement project. The old vanity was in terrible shape and was never mounted to the wall (just caulked around it); it has been removed. The old sink/vanity was set against the wall board, and had tile cut and caulked -around- it which seemed odd to me. Removing the sink and vanity pulled some surrounding tiles loose but many were already loose due to the unanchored sink. The wall behind the vanity had a hole knocked in it about 8 inches across for pipe access (70 years of previous owners...).

What I am looking at now...
I've cut out a nice big square where the new pedestal sink will go, exposing studs and allowing me to put in a square of new wall board. I will put a mounting board at the proper height for the sink basin, but I need advice on the finishing/repairing of the wall.

1) The current wall has ceramic tile glued to what I guess is thick concrete board. Should I look to repair my wall with this same stuff, or just use water resistant drywall?

2) Should I close up the wall, tile it, then drill holes through the tile into my mounting board to mount the sink? Or should I close the wall, mount the sink, then tile around it?

Thanks for any insight!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
bbcamp

I moved your post into it's own thread so there won't be any confusion as who is talking to whom.

1) You can close up the wall with drywall. No need for cement backerboard or greenboard.

2) Tile the wall first, then install the sink. You could mark where the bolts will go and, if you've lived a very good life, they'll line up with your grout lines. It is easier to notch the edge of a tile than drill through it. However, if the grout lines don't work out, you can drill after you finish the tile work.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
aceshelman

Ah thank you very much! I had not considered notching the tile and was wondering how i'd drill through it.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

Yep, life is much easier in that case to put the sink in after tile.

Plus, if you get sick of the sink in a few years, it won't mess up your tile.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com