Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
brownsm

Latasil vs. Acrylic caulk

First time poster here, although I've been reading the forums for 6 months or so, gathering info!

I have a question about caulk. Three days ago, I put in some Laticrete acrylic caulk on the change of plane between my tiled wall, and the tub deck (it's a fiberglass, drop-in style with tiling flange). Of course, mere moments after I installed the caulk, I started reading about Latasil being superior. I promptly ordered some color-matched Latasil on-line and it will be delivered next week.

so my questions are:

1. should I remove the acrylic caulk and replace with the Latasil? I assume I will be replacing that caulk sometime in the future, right, so it might as well be now, so I can get the benefits of the silicone caulk. What's your advice?

2. And do I remove the caulk now before it's fully cured (it seems pretty sticky and messy right now), or wait a couple of weeks? When will it be easier to remove?

thanks!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Bellsfloors
Tile, Wood, Flooring Contractor

Both products are very good. The decision should be based on several factors. I myself like to use the Acrylic sanded caulking since it more closely matches the sanded grout but it cannot be used in an area that is constantly under wet conditions such as inside a shower. Acrylic can be used in dry areas or areas that have intermittent water and can dry quickly.

I personally would leave it and see how it goes for you. You can always cut it out later and replace with Latasil silicone if you decide to do so.

Flooring-Tile-Waterproof Showers
www.AttentionToPerfection.com
Bellsfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

I only use 100% silicone in a tub or shower if at all possible. I'd only use that Laticrete acrylic caulk up at the ceiling when the tile meets a drywall ceiling.

For me, I'd remove the latex caulk right away. Grab a putty knife, a roll of paper towels, a soft white nylon scrubbie, and a bucket of water to clean it off.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Shawn Prentice

Most acrylic sealants will not have the flexibility properties of a neutral cure silicone. And I don't think even the best acrylics compare, although they may be ASTM rated for similar flexibility of silicones or urethanes. Plus, if you add sand to the mix, you essentially lose more flexibility. I use nothing but silicones for tub/shower and kitchen/bath work, unless of course it needs to be painted.

Take it out now, it'll clean up with water.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
brownsm

thanks folks! I think I'll be taking the acrylic stuff out, and replacing with the silicone.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Steve C

Just for the sake of comparison, I have a recent experience to share.

Just this evening I caulked the transition from a fiberglass shower surround to a steel tub in my own house (this bath will get a remodel when I get to it) with GE Silicone II.

Last week I caulked the changes in plane of a tile shower I'm building for a client using Latacrete Latisil.

The Latisil is incredible. On a scale of 1-10, the GE would rate a 5 and the Latisil a 12. I think it's much easier to work with a wet finger, it sets up quicker, and it has an incredible grip once it sets up.

Last edited by Steve C; 02-03-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Anita@LATICRETE
LATICRETE International Representative

Brownsm,
Good Luck with your project! If you would like to learn more about LATICRETE products, please click here

Steve,
Thanks for great feedback on LATICRETE Latasil

http://www.laticrete.com
Anita@LATICRETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
brownsm

Well... I scraped out the acrylic stuff last night. took me a little while to get all the remnants out. wasn't fully cured, so it was still pretty sticky on the back side of the fillet. Now awaiting delivery of the Latasil.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Steve, Welcome!

I'm also a firm believer in Laticrete Latasil. While I find it more difficult to work with than GE's Silicone caulk, it's a far superior caulk for all the reasons Steve mentioned and them some. It's also rated as a Sealant, which has criteria all its own.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
hbrothberg

Latasil .... or the story of Silicone caulks vs. "Siliconized" Acrylics

Which is better for your shower, floor, wall, corners, coves ... etc type application ...?

My usual "money where my mouth is" offer ...

If you haven't tried our Latasil Silicone caulk then send me an email, a PM .. or call me. Or call your local Laticrete rep and we'll give you a tube or two to try....!

The "official info:"

http://www.laticrete.com/contractors...cts/caulk.aspx

Henry
Attached Images

Office: (203) 393-0010 ext 202
Cell: (203) 988-1814

Full Disclosure: I am a 2nd generation Laticrete guy !
Follow my Blog: www.laticrete.blogspot.com
hbrothberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
Houston Remodeler

Henry,

Can you add an online color chart for the silicone caulk? I couldn't find one. Butt then again I often miss the large button marked CLICK HERE

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
hbrothberg

Caulk Color Chart ... Online ...?

The Latasil caulk colors are shown on the Laticrete Grout Color Chart here:

http://www.laticrete.com/Portals/0/d...ets/DS2543.pdf

Or I can mail a color chart to you ... send me an email, a PM or call me.

Or go here to order one online: http://www.laticrete.com/tools

Henry
Office: (203) 393-0010 ext 202
Cell: (203) 988-1814

Full Disclosure: I am a 2nd generation Laticrete guy !
Follow my Blog: www.laticrete.blogspot.com
hbrothberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler

Thanks, I didn't think to look on my color chart already in hand. It's a cold, damp, rainy day off from work today. My brain is on standby.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
surgeon

I also looked into Laticrete acrylic caulk, Latasil silicone ($20), and GE Silicone II ($7). There are some new GE color-matched tubes available that are 5-yr warranty and a new 10-yr warranty. Since I had a bigger gap, I thought of filling first with the GE and top off with Latasil.

Just went with Latasil all the way. It turned out great. I also recommend Latasil. Not sure about the warranty since on the tube it only says 1-yr vs 5 or 10 with GE. Liked the fact that Latasil offers more colors and the performance was good.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Shawn Prentice

Vic,

I wouldn't worry too much about sealant warranties, as it only includes the new tube of caulk and not the labor/time to get it, dig out the old, and re-caulk.

If you get an excellent quality sealant to begin with, i.e. Latisil, and install it properly, then you will have much better performance over cheaper caulks, thus reducing the probablility of failure.

I've seen so-called 35-year latex caulks that first, aren't even ASTM rated for exterior use, and second, typically fail within a few years after installation due to their lack of flexibility.

Last edited by Shawn Prentice; 03-02-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Shawn Prentice is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com